Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

GM LockPick, 5th Generation

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2010, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM LockPick, 5th Generation

Has anybody used, or is using this system on their Tahoe? It allows you to enter info into the GPS while driving. It also allows you to watch movies on the front monitor (Nav) while driving. I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and having problems making it work.
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone here has some experience but maybe not w/ the current iteration. I know when it first came out, there were a lot of issues.
Old November 13th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Alpha Therm Fluid Heater

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone here has some experience but maybe not w/ the current iteration. I know when it first came out, there were a lot of issues.
Thanks for your input.
I noticed you have a Alpha Therm Fluid Heater on your Tahoe. Is that an after market? My Tahoe came with a fluid heater but GM had a recall and disconnected all because of a short/fire problem. Was it easy to install?
I would appreciate any info.
Fritz
Old November 13th, 2010, 5:36 PM
Administrator

It's the same one made by a company that bought the rights from the original mfg. that GM bankrupted.

No chance that the wiring will catch on fire since the cabling is almost the size of the battery cables and has its own fuse.

Did you get the wiring harness upgrade recall done before they unhooked it?

Yes it was very easy install. Since it is on all of the time, there's no need for a switch. Helps get the bug guts off in the summer which is a big plus in the Midwest.
Old November 14th, 2010, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fluid Heater

It's the same one made by a company that bought the rights from the original mfg. that GM bankrupted.

No chance that the wiring will catch on fire since the cabling is almost the size of the battery cables and has its own fuse.

Did you get the wiring harness upgrade recall done before they unhooked it?

Yes it was very easy install. Since it is on all of the time, there's no need for a switch. Helps get the bug guts off in the summer which is a big plus in the Midwest.
I only had 1 recall, and that was the heater disconnect and a $100 check from GM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 2:35 PM
Administrator

Did they remove the heater?
Old November 15th, 2010, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fluid Heater

Did they remove the heater?
Yes, they removed the heater, but left the braket. They also installed special jumpers in the 2 disconnected harnesses. I did look up the Alpha Thermal Co wepside and noticed they have a direct replacement (plug & play) unit for the Tahoe, which according to them will put the original switch circuit back into operation. Sounds good to me. Is that what you have?
Old November 15th, 2010, 9:01 PM
Administrator

No since my 2010 didn't come w/ it, I got the one that's heated all the time the truck is on. It's sure nice in the winter cuz mine sits out. I also use the new deicer washer fluid which does even better when it's hot.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

No since my 2010 didn't come w/ it, I got the one that's heated all the time the truck is on. It's sure nice in the winter cuz mine sits out. I also use the new deicer washer fluid which does even better when it's hot.

I will order one and install it. I will let you know how it works. It may be a little while, before I get back to you, so please be patient with me.
I also contacted Alpha Co. and they told me about the replacement heater for my year, were it will put my control circuit back in operation.
We will see.
Fritz

Ps. I noticed you have a lot of mods to your Tahoe. I found a 2008 Cadillac Escalade 3rd Brake Light at a local junk yard (undamaged) and bought it and installed it on my Tahoe. Looks good. It was a direct replacement (plug & play).
Old November 16th, 2010, 8:09 PM
Administrator

I'd like the Esky CHMSL better if the whole thing lit up. Not sure what the purpose of the red on either side is. Still looking for a set of Esky/Denali luggage rack rails.

Quick Reply: GM LockPick, 5th Generation