Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Just bought a 2000 Suburban LT

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2000 Suburban LT

Copied from another page so I can get the opinion of the DIYers on my new truck. Spent all day Saturday test driving Suburbans and Expeditions in the Minneapolis area but kept going back to look at a CL ad for a fully loaded LT with 152k miles that was about 90 miles outside of the city. Took the drive on Sunday and bought her:

Overall, this truck is rock solid and I felt like I got a good deal. In the cities, trucks in this condition with this mileage are going in the high $6k to low $7k range and we paid $5350 cash. My only concerns are:

1. Fuel pump - it's making a constant whining noise which from the research I've done appears to be normal with these trucks. There was even a receipt in the service records where the previous owners had taking the truck to a dealership for "fuel pump whining" and the resolution was "noise is normal".

However, the fuel pump does appear to be a weak point on these vehicles and I don't think it's ever been replaced. Being that it's got 152k on it and I plan on taking the family on some 400 miles trips this summer I'm thinking about proactively swapping it out. It's the only thing I have any concern about as far as being left stranded somewhere. Am I wrong in my thinking here?

2. AC Compressor - this one irks me a little. Either the seller didn't know what he was talking about or he flat out lied to me. The AC compressor is making a clicking noise, which is an early indicator that it is failing. I could tell the sound was not coming from the engine and he said it was the air compressor for the autoride suspension. Come to find out the compressor for the autoride is in the back of the vehicle! The AC blows cold and this was my own fault as I could have easily proven him wrong (and talked him down a few hundred bucks). Bottom line is that I still feel like I got a good deal.

Tranny fluid is pink and transparent and she shifts strong so I will probably leave that alone. Will likely put in new plugs and plug wires, change the fuel filter (and possibly the pump), and change the oil with synthetic.

One thing I noticed is that the autoride compressor turns on every time we start the truck. Is this normal or is this an indication of a leak in the system?