Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Old March 16th, 2011, 9:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank you

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

I actually hadnt heard anything on doing this mod. I searched the web a little, ask around, and didnt find one person that had completed this cam mod.

I am sure it is possible, but I wanted to find someone that had actually completed it prior to me trying to do it .

I might look into what you have told me. I would like to know where those 6 & 7 wires run from the mirror to? Across the headliner, and down one A pillar or the other. Wonder how close they get to the back of the radio? That would be the easiest location to splice.

My dealer isnt that helpful. Do you think your dealer would show you the schematics for that entire harness and where it goes? Does it go to the junction?

Thanks again and if you make the mod please let me know all the details and how it works. I too will do the same.
Old March 17th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Did a little searching on my own, (after my Service Manager tried his best) on video wire harness routing.

I removed my overhead console, driver side pillar cover, and driver side fuse block cover.

Video wire harness is wrapped in gray foam and runs from oh console to driver side A-pillar, down to top left corner of the junction block by your left foot. The same junction block where the VSS wire connects on back of.

I believe the wires are long enough to reach to back of nav if they are re-routed, if display is no longer needed in mirror.

I went to the local radio shack and bought a cable with the RCA on one end and will splice in the pillar. That way I can return to stock if needed.

Cable was under $7 and is 12 ft long.

Will report back when up and running!
Old March 17th, 2011, 8:44 PM
CF Addict

WOW. You are on the ball. I hadnt even had time to think about it, haha.

Let me know how it works out, once I get a slow day, which may be months I will give it a look.

If you can, and dont mind shoot some pics of what you got going on for all the rest of us to see. One picture is worth a thousand words, .
Old March 28th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Backup display from mirror to nav

Success!

I have successfully gotten the rear camera display that originally was on the rear view mirror moved to the nav screen!

I connected a Radio Shack RCA cable to the camera wires in the driver side A pillar, plugged the RCA into the one on the VSS harness and it works like a charm!

Gray/Blue to center conductor of RCA cable
Gray/Orange to outer braid of RCA cable

These 2 Gray wires are wrapped in foam, and also have a heavy plastic sheath around them that you will have to carefully cut through to access them. Also in that plastic sheath is a bare twisted wire (ground ?) that I didn't tap into.

Also have pics, if I can figure out how to post them here??
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Here are the pics.

1 shows location of camera wires in A pillar

2 Location of my splice

3 Display!!
Attached Thumbnails  OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)-03-27-11_1520.jpg    OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)-03-27-11_1814.jpg    OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)-03-28-11_0835.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
CF Addict

Awesome. Thank you. I will be doing this as soon as time premits. Few questions for you please.... I havent looked at the wires insde of an RCA for a while and I dont have one handy at the moment to look at. I was thinking there were only two??? One was wrapped and one was bare? Is that not correct? isnt the bare the hot wire?

I am trying to picture what you are calling the center conductor and outer braid wire of an RCA??

Did you splice and solder? From what I can see in picture it looks that way. Thanks again.
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Addict

Think I just answered my question, you were saying there are 3 wires in the harness of the vehicle that you spliced into not the RCA. Ok, so if only 2 wires in the RCA as I remember can you confirm exactly which goes to which. I am not familar with which is center conductor and outer braid. Thanks.

You do still have the image on your mirror also, right?
Old March 28th, 2011, 3:48 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

With coaxial cable, the solid wire down the center is called the center conductor. The interlaced, braided fine wire under the outer jacket/insulation is called the braid. Just like the cable from your wall to the TV.
Old March 28th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

To confirm my connections,

This is on an 09 Silverado, your colors may not be the same.

Gray/Blue to center conductor of RCA cable
Gray/Orange to outer braid of RCA cable

All splices were soldered and taped.

I assumed the center conductor of the RCA cable goes to the center of the RCA plug, however, I didn't confirm this with an ohm meter.

Yes, display is still on mirror for now. As soon as I determine which wire at mirror is the reverse trigger, I'll back that terminal out of the mirror plug to disable.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Last edited by fredrich03; March 28th, 2011 at 8:45 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrich03

I assumed the center conductor of the RCA cable goes to the center of the RCA plug, however, I didn't confirm this with an ohm meter.
It is if they followed standard convention.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)