Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2006, 1:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

ORIGINAL: tj

Awesom news, TMW597. Glad you got it working.

So, with the Lockpick, was it still necessary to cut into pins 6 & 7 on connector C4 or does the Lockpick feed the video in for you? I gathered that you could just connect the camera to 6 & 7 and have a dealer enable the backup camera and it will work. I assume the Lockpick negates the need to have the NAV radio reprogrammed by the dealer, right?
Pins 6 and 7 on the C4 connector are ALWAYS going to be the video in to that head-unit. If you have this plug (see attached picture) all you have to do is wire a female RCA video jack to leads on 6 and 7. It has nothing to do with the GMLockPick or any device that allows you to watch video on the front screen. Again, two separate things. And yes you will have to have the dealership program your head-unit to see the back-up camera. Before you do that though, put your truck in reverse, go to the menu on the nav screen and make sure you have the back up camera option to turn it off and on. If you do and you see a black screen with something along the top that says, "Turn to see off-screen people & traffic." then your unit is already programmed. The only reason you're not seeing anything is because there's no video camera plugged in.

So on the GMLockPick there is already a female RCA plug installed on their harness, so you don't have to wire up anything. So the answer to your first question would be, no it is not necessary. Just plug your camera into it, plug their harness into C4 and you're done. But that's only if you have the GMLockPick or equivalent of. If not you're taking two wires to the brown C4 harness below, to pins 6 and 7. You can order that harness from JP Customs for a couple of bucks I'm sure, but I know that they don't have them in right now. You could also try to get it from the dealer but good luck trying to explain to them the part you need without having a number for that.

Hope that makes sense.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/3106EC0D54B7487AB52DA82F5602E08B.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BRAVO MAESTRO!!!

Job well done.

This Bud's for You!
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: burnsze15

BRAVO MAESTRO!!!

Job well done.

This Bud's for You!
Ha, ha. For me? What did I do?
Old December 18th, 2006, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Okay I have a question. I have 2007 Denali, didn't come with the Navi, or camera, I have the rear dvd player. I followed the instructions on a previous thread and I installed the navi. Went to the dealer and had them program the radio via tech2. Everythings works great. I even have the voice recongiton working. Now i'm in the process of doing the rear camera. I have the camera, module, and thefront harness, which by the way I was able to get from Gm parts direct. When i was looking today at thefront harness the colors on the harnessis completely different from what I have. I mean every wire is a different color. My question is my harness that came from factory has all 4 plugs for the back of the radio. Does anyone know if I have all 4 plugs for the back of the radio, do I still need to swap the front radio harness? It looks the same except that the colors on the wire harness are different. When I first put my navi radio on I had the rear camera option on the navi. Now i don't because the dealer most of lock it. Your help would be really appreciated. Maybe someone can lookup the tahoe front harness and the Denali to see if its the same. Thanks
Old December 18th, 2006, 2:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Okay I have a question. I have 2007 Denali, didn't come with the Navi, or camera, I have the rear dvd player. I followed the instructions on a previous thread and I installed the navi. Went to the dealer and had them program the radio via tech2. When I first put my navi radio on I had the rear camera option on the navi. Now i don't because the dealer most of lock it.

If you were able to see the reverse camera screen when you first installed your navigation head-unit, you shouldn't have even taken it to the dealership to do the Tech 2. (That's something you do AFTER you have your camera and everything installed.)

Everythings works great. I even have the voice recongiton working.

I am curious though on the voice recognition, is this something that you did or did the dealership do it for you?

Now i'm in the process of doing the rear camera. I have the camera, module, and thefront harness, which by the way I was able to get from Gm parts direct. When i was looking today at thefront harness the colors on the harnessis completely different from what I have. I mean every wire is a different color. My question is my harness that came from factory has all 4 plugs for the back of the radio. Does anyone know if I have all 4 plugs for the back of the radio, do I still need to swap the front radio harness? It looks the same except that the colors on the wire harness are different. Your help would be really appreciated. Maybe someone can lookup the tahoe front harness and the Denali to see if its the same. Thanks

Remember in my post I bypassed having to use the factory harness to the camera module, as well as bypassing the camera module itself. I haven't even seen what that harness looks like. And yes the Tahoe and the Denali are both going to be the same. (It might help if you posted pictures on what you're trying to explain.)

So now my question to you is how are you planning to wire your camera up if you don't have the harness that runs from the camera to the module?

For anyone else out there attempting to do this, my advice is save your money and frustration with trying to locate the harnesses and use the "bypass" application that I posted. Take it for what it's worth.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

When i had the Tech II run on mine, they turned off the camera as well. Why? I dunno. Now I have to have them turn it back on again.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gambianoco, you mention the voice recognition works. So you can hold the mute button on the steering wheel and say commands tothe unit and it works?

Burnsze, If you had tech II done without the camera they will turn it off. This prevents a black screen coming on everytime you put it in reverse without the camera! If you had planned to get a camera you probably should have told them to have leave it on.

I just had mine tech II and I am sure I will add a camera some day, however they shut mine off as well for the time being!
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Get your Tech 2 done after all of your stuff is done and installed!!!! Don't tell the techs anything they don't need to know or else you're going to blow their heads up. Most of them are not smart enough to handle it. They're robots, Tech 2 machine gives them a prompt about the reverse camera, they get out of the truck, go look in the back, no camera. What do they do? Tell the machine, no camera. Either speak up and tell them to leave it on, or wait until everything is done, which is the easiest to do.
Old December 19th, 2006, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah my voice recongition works. I have a 2007 denali. Maybe it was shipped with the harness.
Old December 19th, 2006, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Okay the front harness I have is actually the whole front dashboard harness. The colors on my existing harness and the one I purchased are completely different. WhenI look at the navi radio plus they are complete different colors. Maybe because I have a Denali. I have all for plus for the navi radio from factory. Alright whats the best way for me to do this. I will be doing it on Sat. I have the backup camera, GMlockpick2, the oem module, the front radio harness. Please give me detail instructions, diagram or colors of the wires. Your help is really appreciated. Sorry to be a pain. I did the navi, but the backup camera is really starting to annoy me. Also if i use the lockpick, do i still need to have the dealer enable the fea?

Thanks

Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)