Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

rear end whine

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2011, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear end whine

I purchased this k1500 suburban new in 1994 it has always had a whine in the rear end. I have had the drive line universals changed and tried all the best rear end lubricants. I would like to get rid of the noise. It is only noisy when I am giving it gas. It is quiet when I coast.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect the only true fix is to have the rear end set up properly.

Just wondering since you bought it new and it has had the whine since new, why didn't you have it fixed back then?
Old September 20th, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed the same problem!!! I might still be under warrenty, so im going to contact the dealer. If I get an answer I will let you know what happens.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Should be under the 5/100K powertrain warranty.
Old September 21st, 2011, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default rear end whine

Thanks for the feedback, I will be interested in the dealership's reply for your 2008, but my Suburban is a vintage 1994. It runs great, but has always had the rear end whine that bothered me. I have had it adressed several times, but could not make it quit, so I just turned up the radio. It is not as bad at higher speeds. It is the nosiest between 45 and 60. I have had some newer models and they were more quite. It seemed like Chevy had worked it out with some of its newer models, but sounds like it may still exist in some units. There are support brackets from the rear end that connect under the bed/floor. I think I will try some buffing materials they are connects to the bed/floor. It might help? I wondered if anyone knew of a different ring and pinion or some new way to address this. Maybe it is just inherient vice. I can live with it, but always wondering it I could make it right.
Old September 25th, 2011, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

mine drives me nuts! It does it the most between 45 and 70. Only when "driving" the vehicle. When I'm coasting the noise goes completly away. Goes into the dealer tomorrow, and I'm not letting it leave until I atleast know what the problem is.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default rear end whine

I will be interested in what they tell you. I was wondering if there are performance upgrades for the rear end or a difference ratio gear that is quite. I know many Suburban's have this issue because I have seen several posts on the web. Mine is 4 wheel drive as well and so I think I will have to stay with the recommendations from Chevy for ratio's and such.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Also mine whining quits when I coast as well.
Old September 26th, 2011, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

I just wanted to chime in, and say I'm having the same problem.
Except, that the "growl" from the rear end on mine is somewhat
temperature related. It doesn't make any sound until I drive about
5 miles. And, it's speed related. I barely can hear it under 5 mph.

Last edited by SWHouston; September 26th, 2011 at 1:56 PM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Junior Member

So I took the truck into the dealer on Monday. It turns out the pinion bearing was starting to grenade. There was metal shavings in the fluid. I ended up getting everything in the rear end replaced under warrenty. Bearings, gears, axleshafts, everything

Quick Reply: rear end whine