Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Rear Liftgate Problems

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2023, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Liftgate Problems

I have a 2013 Suburban 1500 and I've been having issues with the rear liftgate. Both the button on the rear handle and the interior button by the mirror would produce the same effect - the door would attempt to open, there would be a clicking or grinding sound, and the door would close. By disabling the rocker switch in the interior, I could get the door to open and close just fine. I replaced the hydraulic lift arms, thinking that maybe they were wearing out and it just needed more lift. That didn't help. Then I though for sure that it must be the liftgate actuator dying or missing gears or something. So I bought a new one of those and replaced it. That worked like a charm...once. Now we're right back to where we started.

Any ideas of if it could be something with the latch assembly? Or maybe some sort of sensor? Does anyone know if there would be error code info in the OBD? Looking for any insights y'all might have. Thanks