Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Spyder HALO Projector Lights

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

themierduh:

Very nice ride! Yeah, I didn't know about the CCFL until after I installed my Spyder Lights. So I'm just going to get my money out of it and my a Spyder with CCFL at the end of the year. I did bookoo checking on this one for the Suburban. My final research ended after seeing Spyder Lamps with HID Lights (Combo Package) sold by JM Auto Racing. I emailed the company and asked for the type of bulb on the low beam and they stated H1. Also, carid.com replied in the same. Maybe the Spyder Lights for the Ford is different. Who knows? Again, sweet ride!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

you should be fine with the 8k, they are like a light blue, not that deep blue all the risers drive around with, where did you get them?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the compliments, but my for aint as nice as those new chevy's.

do the HIDs come preinstalled into the headlight assembly?

...CCFLs would be the way to go if you want the rings to be visible during the day, hope all works well.

I hope you post back to see if the HIDs made a difference in your visibility.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravent25
hey 73shark do you have any pic's of your headlight or are the still OEM?? I need better lighting from my units, I really wish they didn't have the projectors in them..
I still have the OEM lites. Thought about getting some of the projectors that the AMG poster put on his ride since HIDs in the stock units don't do that well and tend to irritate oncoming drivers from what I've heard.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RNGR Q
Ravent:
Shark: Boy, I hope they're not purple! My research on the kelvin rating showed 6000K as the mostly white with a blue tint. The 8000K was more blue with a white tint. If that makes sense. If it's purple then looks like I have to go down to 6000K.
From what I found when I to was considering HIDs, 4300K was a bright white and provided the best illumination. The higher you go, the bluer it gets and the less lite it provides. See here.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by 73shark; August 2nd, 2011 at 8:25 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

yes, please let me know if the hid light fit and work.. thanks..
Old August 3rd, 2011, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

...i just replaced the stock lights these sonar (spyder halo head lights) come with, with some inexpensive HIDs i found on eBay... (for $37 lets see how this set holds out in the long run) the brand is Xentec black slim ballast (35W 8000K) after all the mixed reviews ive read i was a bit skeptical, but at under 40 bucks, what the heck.

Let me tell you i wasnt disapointed, the kit is real easy to install, ballast is smaller than the palm of my hand, and bulbs fits in the projectors well (only minor modification needed is to cut a small hole to pass the wires)... and boy do these increase visibility significantly.

If i would do anything different, perhaps maybe get a different color, like 6000k or maybe even something whiter like 5000k. Its not that i dont like the 8000k its not like an obnoxious blue, its mere a light blue, but i was trying to get a bright white with slight bluish tint. 5000k would be factory HID super white.

End of story if you buy aftermarket projector headlights to replace your stock reflective headlamps, its definitly worth while investing in a pair of HIDs.

i was boxed into my driveway so i couldnt get pictures of the road view, but it is pretty impressive, there is no glare on street signs.
Attached Thumbnails Spyder HALO Projector Lights-img_20110803_225006.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-img_20110803_225029.jpg   Spyder HALO Projector Lights-img_20110803_225106.jpg  

Last edited by themierduh; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default hids

any news on the new hid install
Old August 11th, 2011, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I just returned from Southern California and had an awesome time at Universal Studios! However, before I left last week I ran into some problems!

I ordered the H1 HID Kit that was supposed to arrive just 2 days prior to my departure on family vacation. They didn't!! Out of all places, they were supposed to come from Fremont, CA which is only 1.5 hours away from where I live. Go figure! Instead of canceling my family vacation 'cause of the night time driving concerns, I found a seller in Salinas, CA for the same type and kelvin rating (HID Kit). Here we go....

The darn H1 Xenon/HID Bulb would not fit in the low beam housing (You're f**k***g kidding me). I don't mean the bulb was too long and couldn't have a flushed fitting....I mean the very tip of the H1 Bulb wouldn't make it 2mm in the actual housing. The housing is made of metal and couldn't be modified.

In order to maintain morale with my 3 kids and beautifully hot filipina wife, and NOT cancel vacation....I had to find an alternate solution. I found Sylvania H1 Super Bright halogen bulbs at the auto store ($22 a piece). They fit like a glove and were actually 30% brighter than the original H1 that came with the HALO Projector Headlamp Assembly. NOT HID, but was a perfect temporary solution. I decided to deal with the HID KIT I just purchased in Salinas, and the HID KIT that would be coming in the mail from Fremont, when I return from vacation.

Upon return, I looked at the HALO Projector Lamp Assembly a bit closer. Through research and observation, the HALO Projector Lamp was not a SPYDER (SONAR). It was a knock-off brand and turned out to be a "Not Compatible with any HID / Xenon Bulb" type of unit. I just purchased a set SONAR CCFL HALO Projector Headlights that are compatible, from JM Auto Racing. Good thing is I now get the CCFL on the HALO rings, and a low beam housing that will accept the H1 HID / Xenon Bulb. I just returned the HID Kit back to Fremont and will get a full refund. The guy I purchased the HID Kit from in Salinas is an HID / LED Automotive Seller. I'm going to see if he has replacement LED lights for the assembly too. I pulled out the LED lights from the knock-off and realized they are not as bright as LEDs found on the AUDI / BMW / Mercedes. If he has replacements that would fit, then SCORE!!

I will take photos of the knock off, and when I get the HID finally installed. I will do some installation photos too.

Lots of money spent! Oh, well.
Old August 11th, 2011, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default hids

Im looking at buy a new set aswell. I hate that no one make a smoked lens like my light have now, that one of the reasons I bought them!! did you get the chrome or black housings..

Quick Reply: Spyder HALO Projector Lights