Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Stabilitrak problems and transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2017, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak problems and transmission rebuild

I have been researching for days trying to find answers to the problems with my 2007 Suburban 1500. We have had it for 4 years and have put nearly 100K miles on it with no problems. We are currently 650 miles from home so this is extra frustrating to have veh troubles. Two weeks ago, my truck started throwing "Service Stabilitrak, Stabilitrak off/Service Traction control, Traction control off codes" It would come on then go off, but no other symptoms with the car. A few days later, after very light driving, the check engine light came on. We had it tested, and it was throwing a misfire on cylinder 7 code. We had plans then to take it in have have it tested to see if it needed it a new spark plug or if the coil was going bad. The check engine light went out, and never came back on. The next day, I was pulling from a stop light, and I heard a loud pop as the truck was going into 2nd gear, and then I had no power. I coasted to the side of the road. It would not engage the transmission in Drive or 3, but it did engage the transmission in 2. So we limped it in 2 at 25 mph to Aamoco. The engine codes were all clear and showing no problems. As far as the transmission, it turns out I blew a sprag, and I had to have the transmission rebuilt. $2900 later, I have a newly rebuilt transmission, but the day after I brought it home, it is still giving me the Stabilitrak code if I idle for any time. I turn off the traction control and stabilitrak as soon as I start the truck, and it seems to ride ok then, just a little rough. If I turn it off and idle for any time, the stabilitrak service light comes on again, and then it shifts REALLY hard into 1st and 2nd. I am taking it back to the mechanic today, but I would like to be able to give him some direction, since it seems like the problems could come from every direction, and my engine is no longer giving me any codes.

Any ideas out there?

Already broke from rebuilding my transmission!

Thanks so much.
Old January 25th, 2017, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issue. 10 days ago I took my 2012 Chevy Equinox into my Chevy Service Center. It was the last day of my powertrain warranty. The dealer replaced the pistons, rings, timing chain and several other things all of which were covered under my warranty. I picked the vehicle up at noon yesterday, drove 45 miles and this morning when I started up the car shook and sputtered the service engine like came on and flashed "service stabilitrack". Now I am reading that this is obviously an issue with Chevy/GM products and I am worried. The service manager said that they would check it out and see if it was related to the repairs they had just completed, and I wanted to say "of course it is!" You basically re-built it and obviously a mistake was made when you put it all back together!
Old January 29th, 2017, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update:

I took my Suburban back to the shop that rebuilt my transmission. They at first called me back and said they drove it three times, and had no service codes show up. I told them to just let it idle for five minutes and then see what happens. A few hours later they call me back with an estimate of $1600 to replace all the coils, all the plugs and plug wires, and do a fuel injection clean out. Uh, NO. I picked it up--after paying $180 for two hours of diagnostics. My husband and I changed out coil #7 (which had thrown a check engine code misfire before the transmission broke), all the plugs and plug wires. (Dangit, #8 plug was a BEAR and it's a wonder we are still married. Shew. We are not mechanics. Thank-you, youtube.)

After all that, we took it back to have all the codes cleared. I drove it two miles down the road, and the Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction control light came on again. (It needed a tune-up, so the coil--which was actually broken, plugs and wire replacement weren't wasted time or money, but I am SO glad we didn't pay $1600 for that to happen! My husband would have blown an actual human gasket and probably abandoned our Suburban with the title on the side of the road for someone else to deal with.)

I saw on one youtube video that someone had a Stabilitrak code come up and his Chevy wouldn't go into drive so he replaced the brake light switch and it worked, and another guy said changing the brake light switch fixed his cruise control. Well, my cruise control has been out for a while (and I have told every mechanic I have talked to this, because I thought it could be related, but they wouldn't look into it.) Well, $20, a screw driver, and 10 minutes of my time, I have a new brake light switch. The cruise control is now working, and I just drove it for 20 minutes, let it idle for 10 minutes, and the service Stabilitrak warning did not come on. I am so weary of dealing with this. I pray that it has fixed the issue, and I can just get on with my day.

I hope this helps someone else. If I have any more problems with the Stabilitrak, I will come back on here and post it.

Peace!
Old November 8th, 2020, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabletrac

I recently had a transmission put in and now the stabletrac won't go off!