Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

03 Tracker steering problem

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2013, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Tracker steering problem

I have an 03 4 door 4X4 Tracker. This summer I started noticing hard spots in the steering while turning. It has gotten much worse. I have quit driving it it has gotten so bad now that it has lost all power steering. I can jack the front end up and it still does this. Lifting the front wheels off the ground helps none at all. I think it could be the steering rack, but have seen that some has had problems with the steering knuckle. Mine looks fine even while turning the steering wheel. Is replacing the rack much of a PITA. I used to be a GM tech many, many years ago but switched jobs and quit twisting wrenches for a living.. I still work on all my cars and trucks, but I'm getting older and really don't know if I'm up to doing this job. It will all have to be done while laying on my back. I don't have a lift, but can get it up on jack stands.
Do you think it's the rack or could it be another problem which I really believe it is the problem. The car has close too 200K miles on it, but other than replacing a rear axle bearing a couple years ago it has preformed flawlessly since I bought it new in 03. I have found used steering racks on Ebay for around 100 bucks.None found local. Also I see shop repair manual CD's on Ebay, are they worth buying . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blackoak; February 11th, 2013 at 5:17 PM.
Old February 18th, 2013, 6:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Have you checked the power steering pump?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by go-part
Have you checked the power steering pump?
I jacked up the front end with the wheels off the ground and it has the hard spots turning the steering wheel with the car not running. It like something inside the rack is binding up. It gotten to where now you have to really struggle to get the steering wheel to turn. I have a used steering rack on order. It's should be here Monday. I guess I'm going to tear into then. I need to get the Tracker going, even with the high price of gas now, it will beat driving my 3500 Dodge truck with diesel at 4.35 a gallon. It cost me 150 bucks to fill it up yesterday.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah sounds like your on the right track. Most likely you've cooked the power steering pump, like any other fluid on a vehicle they lose there lubricating abilities over time. Power steering fluid especially ones that use transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid gets very thick over time and eventually will put too much pressure of the pump and will cause it to fail.

Best bet would be buy a used rack and pinion from your local scrap yard. After putting in new rack first thing you should do is either manually flush the power steering unit (drain overflow reservoir and refill, start car and turn wheel lock to lock 2 or 3 times, shut down and drain reservoir again and repeat until clean) or go to your local quick lube and get them to flush your power steering fluid.

Hope that helps!
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by the-herb420
Yeah sounds like your on the right track. Most likely you've cooked the power steering pump, like any other fluid on a vehicle they lose there lubricating abilities over time. Power steering fluid especially ones that use transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid gets very thick over time and eventually will put too much pressure of the pump and will cause it to fail.

Best bet would be buy a used rack and pinion from your local scrap yard. After putting in new rack first thing you should do is either manually flush the power steering unit (drain overflow reservoir and refill, start car and turn wheel lock to lock 2 or 3 times, shut down and drain reservoir again and repeat until clean) or go to your local quick lube and get them to flush your power steering fluid.

Hope that helps!
Nope it was the lower U-joint on the steering linkage. Got it taken care of now.
Old March 5th, 2013, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by blackoak
Nope it was the lower U-joint on the steering linkage. Got it taken care of now.
Good to hear! from what you were explaining it sounded like the pump, kinda hard to diagnose problems when you cant see or feel the problem.