Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Tracker issue-power loss

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2011, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Tracker issue-power loss

My 2000 Tracker 1.6l 5spd base model runs good for 2 minutes, then loses power. It's drivable but gas mileage is terrible and will hardly climb any incline on the road. New fuel filter, air filter and plugs gapped at .040. EGR valve clean and selenoid reads good with ohm meter check. OBDII registered an Exhaust Restriction. I removed second cat (it's CA car) and drives the same. Removed front cat and light passes through easily. O2 sensors looked intact but didn't test. Ran good first two weeks I've had it, but I quit driving it for now. Only has 88k on it and it looks very clean. Any suggestions?
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "2 minutes" sound like the time it takes for the O2 sensors to come online. Make sure there's no exhaust leak around the O2 sensors since they basically measure the oxygen content inside vs. outside the exhaust pipe. It can lead to running rich.
Old March 27th, 2011, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default reply to EinST

Thank you for your help. It appears by the spark plugs it is too lean, but I haven't drove it enough to color the plugs maybe. I'll make an effort to test both O2's today so I may eliminate them from a growing list of probabilities.
Thanks again!
Old May 21st, 2011, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default update

Just wanted to post an update on my problem. I have replaced both O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, soaked MAF sensor in alcohol, cleaned EGR, inspected both cat cons, cleaned throttle senor, tested EGR with ohm meter, new plugs and fuel filter. I have been driving 45mi one way to work everyday, getting 17mpg. Still lousy power. Just threw an "EGR- restricted exhaust" code. Running out of DIY ideas...
Old May 27th, 2011, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default another update...

Fuel pump ok as is fuel pump relay. Will run for 2 minutes, then will run only at idle. Pumping the accelerator it will slowly pick up rpm's until throttle is responsive , but only above 2500 rpm. Still no codes. I conclude that OBD II sucks!
Old June 14th, 2011, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Tracker issue-power loss

It's a great site. GEO TRACKER 2000 car safety problem was reported on .GEO TRACKER 2000, manufactured by GENERAL MOTORS CORP. had a problem with POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION . TRANSMISSION ON 4DR, 4X4 MODEL DOES NOT SEEM TO SHIFT ALL THE TIME. WHEN ACCELERATING (HARD OR GENTLE) TRANSMISSION REFUSES TO SHIFT UNLESS FOOT IS LIFTED OFF GAS AND THEN RETRY.
Old June 25th, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Just another update. New fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Gutted cat. Pressing the gas pedal rpms climb slowly. Sometimes letting off pedal increases rpm's. Using massive amounts of fuel. It's heading to Chevrolet dealership Monday.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Latest update

Well, took Tracker to shop. Crankshaft timing gear has been wobbling on crankshaft and has mishapened crankshaft key and keyway. Gear also slid back into engine block and ground metal shavings and dust from the block. Looks salvageable and affordable. If it fixes the power issue, I will post as fast as possible.
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Alright! Got the Tracker back today. Power issue resolved! The parts list was a short one. A crankshaft key and a new lower timing gear. It had slipped/jumped 3 or 4 teeth in timing. There were no noises to point a finger at, so the diagnosis was beyond my "backyard" abilities. I would highly recommend my mechanic to anyone near Flora Indiana. The "fix" cost me $526. Happy motoring!