Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2002 Tracker Heat Issues!

Old January 2nd, 2007, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tracker Heat Issues!

I have a 2002 Tracker with about 160,000 km on it and have no heat. I've had the thermostat replaced and the system cleaned and flushed. At this point the mechanic says that the next step is to replace the heater core but that's a $500 Cnd part and 7 hours labour!! Unfortunately it's no longer on warranty but as it's not even 5 years old I don't understand why this is happening. Any hints/ideas/suggestions? Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 7:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 2002 Tracker Heat Issues!

I'd be doubtful it's the heater core , if they did a flush they would have found out if it was plugged or leaking at that time.

It could be something more simple like a rad cap or the diverter door not functioning. I'm unfamiliar if you have a cabin air filter which may be plugged.

Since the Tracker is a Suzuki you might also try their forum as well.
Old December 27th, 2009, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pegasus1943

had a similar problem..something fell into the dash andcaused the heat problem..easy fix.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 2:51 AM
CF Junior Member

one of 3 things one u fixed thermostat low antifreeze door motor not working and not closing the door or temp control module not working broken steel control wire or popped off and heater cores only go bad when they are leaking antifreeze
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

What else could go wrong on this stupid car.
No heat whatsoever? Fan initially sounded like it was warning us the world was over so loud sound of fan when I put heat on, which only worked on full blast. Now no heat and no fan sound? What's wrong with it?
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Holy Sheat! Yeah, heat in my 2002 ZR-2 (170,000 miles) would never set you on fire. First I would check the heater pipes in the engine compartment at the firewall--after the engine is "Hot." See if one of them is hot and then feel the other. If it is cold, then your core is likely blocked, etc. If one is hot and the other warm(er) then you are getting some heat, and the problem could be a controls issue. This is my experience with various vehicles. Coolant pretty much always flows through a heater core, so if it isn't, the core is likely the issue, or you may also have to check for a worn water pump.

Redd
Old January 26th, 2016, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

if it doesn't work on certain blower speeds and no blower at all now it is likely the blower motor resistor located behind the glove box door on pas side floor. my 2003 wouldn't work on low speed and that was the issue. they are not cheap though. about 100 bucks. i took mine out of my other tracker to make sure it was that and it was. open glove box, push in both sides at back and it will pull right out and swing down to floor. it is a black square piece with a wire clip attached to it on heater box. unplug it , and one screw holding it in. easy to remove. this is why i always have a cheap parts truck around. these suv's are great but some parts are pricey.