Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2002 zr2 tracker dome/map lights

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 zr2 tracker dome/map lights

Hello---

I have been trying to track down cause of dead dome lights(2) and 2 map lights on the rear view mirror. Fuses good and main bulbs good. The supply wiring for these was found running down the pass door pillar at the windshield. There is a wiring connector just below the top of the dash which I disconnected and then began testing from there (3 wires seen). 1) White with a gray band; 2) Black, and 3) Black with red line stripe. The White seems to be the main 12V+ for the off/on switch (full lighting result= nice). The Black with red likely part of the door circuit, and the black is ground? The odd part is when I try the door operation, the dome light operates weakly only when the map lights are turned on (also weak). All this tells me there could be a delay relay in this circuit (bad)? Not sure. Otherwise do not have any shorts, although I found one passenger door to have a bad switch which I removed. The rear gate dome light never showed any life (that might be the bulb I have not verified). The existence of a relay would explain some odd voltage readings and strange performance. Not being an electronics wizard, Is there a relay and how do I locate it under the dash? Any ideas? Thanks.

JR
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Looks like some interest on this thread but no ideas... Did some internet research, as well as on this forum, and saw something about the Daytime Running Lights Module and its possible link to the Dome Lights? One of the DRL module's input wires is the same color as the wire which feeds the dome wiring up on the door pillar.

I found the DRL Module above the accelerator pedal and dismantled it. Found: A burnt circuit board (pics). Oddly the DRLs on the vehicle seem fine. So, now I am on to something--maybe this board is the reason for no interior lights. But, the DRL module part seems unavailable. Does anyone know if these have been discontinued or renamed as another part number? My choices (without the web) are limited to a salvage yard or going to a dealer see if a replacement exists

There is some warm and fuzzy feeling here finding something amiss for all the effort. Could a bad door switch cause this bad board? Had one. Or assume a board just malfunctions?

JR
Attached Thumbnails 2002 zr2 tracker dome/map lights-dsc00034.jpg   2002 zr2 tracker dome/map lights-dsc00035.jpg   2002 zr2 tracker dome/map lights-dsc00036.jpg  
Old January 19th, 2014, 2:04 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like that FET got hot, could have been too much current draw, possibly from a short, or it may have been a poor solder connection.....
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I finally gave up on this problem. After isolating the wiring by disconnecting all known connections, it appears there is a short in the 12V+ wiring inside the headliner. I toyed with the wires--which are as tight as piano wire in position---the factory did not waste any wiring installing the system.
I ran a new pair of wires from the fuse panel up to the pillar and used the good wires from there to make a new circuit for a usable dome. Unfortunately for now, this means having a switched dome light without the use of the door setup. Better than nothing. Later I may be able to tie the map lights into that.