Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Camshaft Position Sensor Misfire

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2017, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Position Sensor Misfire

I have a really weird problem, and i don't even know where to begin. About 3 months ago, my 2001 2.0 tracker (with just under 80,000 kilometres) died in traffic. idle started bouncing all over the map, and was surging and lurching. eventually she died, and i was stuck. about 15 minutes later after having my four ways on in traffic, she fired right up, and i drove it home without missing a beat. it has periodically done this, sometimes going up to a week without it happening at all. sometimes more than once a day. ruled out the egr valve, and figured it must be the cam position sensor. replaced it today after it died, and she fired up strong. drove it around for five and it ran beautifully so i tried driving it home. started missing like crazy, especially badly at 2k rpm and above. limped it home, and turned it off. started it back up five minutes later, and it started strong (again). revved it in park, and anything over 2k started missing badly. turned it off, put the old cam sensor in, and it started perfectly which was baffling, but good i guess. revved it in park, up to 4k with no misfires at all. so basically, the new sensor, rather than alleviating my problems, is causing a misfire. however, it did fix the no start problem after it would die. any help is greatly appreciated and i can answer any further questions. thanks a lot guys.

gray
Old September 21st, 2017, 4:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Fuel filter is my suspect.