Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

headlights and dash lights surging between normal and getting a little brighter

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2014, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights and dash lights surging between normal and getting a little brighter

Last night on my 2000 Chevy Tracker 2.0L the headlights and dash lights started to surge or flicker between getting a little brighter and normal. I am going to check the alternator but if it is not doing the problem when i check it then it wont tell me anything. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Thanks

Last edited by java4iv; November 29th, 2014 at 8:38 AM.
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

was it your alternator?
My battery was not being charged correctly, so I rebuilt the non-rebuildable alternator, epoxied the stator windings (they were nasty condition, after only 100k).
Alternator testing in-vehicle had said bad diodes, then bad on the bench-test too. So I got a new unit IMR7581, I believe it was. Although my old diodes tested fine when I did surgery on them afterwards.
Anyway, my alternator's working finally.

gotta say, compared to many others, it's a pleasure to remove the alt. in this truck!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2003 Tracker that was doing the same thing - pulsating lights. I replaced the alternator and all was well! I've read that many of the refurbished alternators are not any good so I went for a brand spankin new one and my problem was solved. The new one cost less than a hundred bucks at that - less than the rebuilt ones I saw.