TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

06 Chevy Trailblazer LS rear wiper motor issues

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Chevy Trailblazer LS rear wiper motor issues

06 Chevy Trailblazer LS

The rear wiper is not working and I tested the electric @ the connector plug (has 3 wires) using the center of the 3 as ground and (with the switch both on and off) I received 12.++ volts from "both" left & right wires! I installed a used motor with no results THEN I installed an O'reilly refurbished and still no function! Rubber Insulators on the motor itself do not contact the motor to the door but I bolted it on regardless.

I also noticed the tailgate has "other" problems-
(A) the release handle feels like it's only 1/2 working (it needs to pulled up on the LEFT side) and I need to manually push it back in before it latches.
(B) the lock mechanism don't latch even though I can hear it click.

Last edited by warezaholic; April 10th, 2017 at 8:20 PM. Reason: picture is too big
Old October 1st, 2017, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Common Problem

Here is how I tested for and fixed the problem of the rear-windshield wiper motor not working on a '02 Trailblazer LT:

1. Confirm that wiper/washer switch is working with a continuity tester. If no, suspect switch

2. Test if washer motor is working (can you hear it when you press the button?) If no, suspect switch

3. At rear tailgate (remove inside covers)... check power connection to wiper motor. Check for power to the Orange wire, while you are grounding against the Black wire. If you don't have power:
a. check Fuse #3, 30AMP on fuse box under rear seatb. Test grounding against the body of the car (at the tail hatch connection). If yes, suspect open ground (Black Wire) and start to track back up through the tailgate connection to the main car (this is where the problem often is).4. If you are getting power at Orange, while grounded to Black Wires... proceed to bench testing the wiper unit. You can only confirm the motor works...a. Remove washer motor from truck
b. Remove control module from washer motor (requires pulse signal form BDM on the dark green wire)
c. test motor using car battery charger and extended probes.5. If motor doesn't work, open up and check that worm gear isn't blocked, or winding motors aren't rusted/burnt. If you can't free gear up... you need to replace that unit.

6. If motor works there are three possibilities:a. your wiper control module is bad (the white box): replace
b. your control module isn't getting a signal via the dark green wire from the BDM that it should fire. If this is the case you need to: trace the green wire back through the circuit to the lift gate control module (driver side box). It should get intermittent low voltage if tested. Note: this won't be your only vehicle problem.
c. the vibration of the car has worn 'opens' in the connectors between the wiper motor and the circuit board (inside the white box). Fix: spot solder connector board pads to complete electrical connection... or replace board.

7. If you have a lift gate control module problem, you are likely having multiple problems at once: lift gate won't open, repeated clicking, key fob not working, rear not locking with key fob, etc.

8. You may get intermittent running of your wiper. Check 6c. above... you can tell by sitting in the truck with the gates closed and the (working 1 above) rear wiper switch on. Shake & push the white box on the wiper motor to help connections.

9. Other problem... and arguably the more likely culprit: the black ground wire, or fat orange power wire, or communications wire has fatigued doe to opening and closing the rear hatch. Note, it won't be obvious. The line will be severed 2"-3" back from the connector from the roof liner side. You will need to slice a repair in.

My Fix Path:

1. Broken ground wire at the top hatch was causing an intermittent ground... sometimes the hatch worked, sometimes it didn't. Wiper motor wasn't working
2. The intermittent ground was giving a false positive circuit to the wiper... making think the problem was the wiper unit.
3. After confirming the wiper motor was working, I started to troubleshoot the control unit by tracing back the comm wire to the BDM. This lead me to the faulty ground.
4. Once repaired, I discovered that the white control box had an intermittent short due to insufficient solder being applied to the pads, coupled with too sharp a 'pincer' connector.

Good luck everyone who deals with this problem!
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

This was posted so long ago I had forgotten all about it! Thanks for the long awaited reply (although long winded, I'll try to understand and follow it.

I plan to go on an extended road trip soon and may need the rear wiper to work. as far as the rear gate not locking electrically I am wondering WHY the rear don't have any key-lock feature????

Last edited by warezaholic; October 3rd, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Wiper Problem is now MOOT

It took months to get a reply about the rear wiper HOWEVER this request needs rapid replies!!! Please HELP

I no longer need to diagnose the rear wiper and tail locks because I had a TREE totally destroyed my entire rear gate; SO, now I just need to get THE ENTIRE GATE OFF so I can replace it with the one from the salvage yard.

I just bought another rear gate assembly and need to see how to take the old one off at the hinges so I try to get the replacement mounted up and rewired. I didn't see anything on YouTube other than getting the clip-on inside panel off but nothing about removing the entire gate assembly.

That small hinge assembly is NOT as simple as it looks (I know this because it took the 2 salvage yard mechanics almost an hour to get theirs off and in my car! I am a disabled Nam vet and spent my wad on the new part ($160) so now I'm broke for the rest of the month but I need to (at least) get the new gate mounted on the truck on my own somehow!