TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Difficulty removing trans pan?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 6:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the pan gasket is re-useable ;if its the oem gasket. if its not leaking...reuse it and don't apply any rtv or gasket maker. some people throw out the $120 re-useable gasket and put in the cheap cork gasket that comes with aftermarket filters.
Bingo! I never use the cork gaskets. It's too easy to tighten them too much and they will leak. Been there and done that. Use old one or go with a Felpro gasket.

The fluid exchange sounds good, but I don't have the proper tools to do it. I decided to drop the Dex VI, every 20,000 miles since the 6T40e filter is not removable. Most are fully synthetic, but I saw nothing on a bottle of STP Dex VI claiming that its full-synthetic at all, so it's Valvoline or GM Dex VI which are fully synthetic Dexron VI fluids.
Old April 1st, 2019, 7:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

as long as you change it sometime. I do like the oem fluids.

I remove the cooler lines....and let the tc pump out the old fluid. I have made a trans filler from a weed sprayer (virgin one) so I pump it in as the tc pumps it out. you could shut the engine off every 2 liters and refill the trans....I'm not sure where the lube circuit is feed....before or after the cooler....if its after the cooler... lube circuit wouldn't get fed until your done.
I have done this on my ford and dodge using the refill method and both trans are running perfect.

I overfill one liter...run and drain 2 liters approx. 10seconds run time...shut down...fill 2liters...repeat until I have exchanged the complete capacity
Old April 1st, 2019, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Fluid goes through the cooler, then to the lube circuit.
Old April 1st, 2019, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on progress:

I pryed on the y-pipe and almost had the pan out. Decided to not try to loosen Y (really need taller front stands),
and go to plan D.

When the pan was hanging I was able to drain maybe 2 quarts. Reinstalled pan w/ whatever gasket was stuck to pan.

Then I removed the trans cooler line placed metal and rubber tubes into a bucket started engine fluid went everywhere then I quickly realigned bucket turned off engine when the fluid started sputtering, let drip then restarted a few more times (4) letting it run maybe 10 seconds each time I don’t think it ran dry at least I hope I didn’t.

I didn't add flud while it was being pumped out.

Probably drained out total 6 quarts of nasty black fluid however there was a little redness, added a tad less than 5 quarts.

Plan to let the fluid go down into pan before restarting engine.

I think this trans holds 16 quarts and I was only able to drain 6 even when pumping it out.

The rear dif. Fought me for a couple days the lowest cover bolt was totally rusted to cover and the outside head of bolt basically crumbled I grinded a grove for a flathead screw driver but ended up using the grove to beaton w/ a hammer and screw driver.

I need a rest and research to attempt the front diff.

the transfer case was easy compared to trans.

Thanks Guy’s for advice TB

Last edited by the Brain; April 1st, 2019 at 9:07 PM.