TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Engine / Lifter noise?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine / Lifter noise?

I have an 02 Trailblazer 2wd with tow package. In the past year I have noticed what sounds like a lifter going bad. The noise gets louder when the engine is under load sudn as towing a trailer or hitting the gas. It's louder when the engine is cold but seems to almost go away when it warms up. I currently have about 60K on the engine and am wondeting if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have a friend who has a Chevy truck and he stated the dealer told him "it's normal" I don't know about normal but would like to hear others imput.

Thanks,

KL
Old August 31st, 2006, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Engine / Lifter noise?

I too have this similar problem and I only have 24000 miles. I've been wanting to take it in, but now that the airbag light is on, i will. I won't be able to take it in till next week, but i'll keep you posted.
Old September 1st, 2006, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

How frequent were your oil changes? Did you go by the onboard "oil monitor" or did you go by the old 3 or 5K miles standard?

Did you have the oil changes done at the dealer? a "quick lube" or yourself? What grade/brand oil and filters were used?

Might be a gummed up or sticking lifter... I would hope that it is not a worn lifter or cam problem.

My gal's has 62 K on here 2003 and no noises from the valve train... although I need to make another post about a "clicking" I do hear when the car is first started up in the driveway in the morning... and is present other times too. Haven't really investigated it yet. Does not effect performance, no warning lights on and it may be a normal clicking from a solenoid or other device.

Old September 1st, 2006, 2:45 AM
CF Active Member

The noise You hear is a pre-ignition type knock. The fact that it's doing it under acceleration or towing ( both are creating a load type situation ) is what is creating the knock. You probably have a bad knock sensor or at the very least, it needs adjusting so it will pick up the knock and retard the timing to keep the engine from knocking. Have it tested. Thanks for listening.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, Any new information on (cold lifter) or knocking noise. I have a
02 LTZ, 60K, with same problem. I change oil and filter @ 3K
and used 5W/30W semi synthetic oil, only to get more noise cold.
By cold I'm referring to 60 overnight and 90's daytime. I don't think it's predetonation in the morning only to go away when hot, usually
if your going to get predetonation it's under heavy acceleration hot.
Mine also sounds like a valve lifter, not piston slap. If you or anyone
have new information would be appreciated. Tks, LTZ02
Old July 7th, 2007, 8:19 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

My 02 TrailBlazer sounded like a diesel when first started cold and was barely noticeable when warmed up. Was especially noticeable in the winter. It ran fine and had 40K on it when I sold it last year. Dealer said was piston slap and since I had extended warranty, I went with that.
Old September 9th, 2007, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

I am having a knocking problem. I hear a knocking noise in the front end of my engine only when I am stopped. I notice it the most when I am at a drive-thru because my window is rolled down. I don't think it is a value because it does it at random times. I went to my local mechanic the other day. When I pulled he heard the noise and said he hadn't heard anything like that before. Then the noise stopped. He wanted $72 dollars an hour to figure out what the problem was. Any ideas?
Old September 30th, 2007, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

If the motor is knocking when idling (not giving the gas) it is likely to be the fan clutch. If you give it a slight push of the pedal and the noise goes away then the fan clutch is the issue. In the event the wrap occurs under load driving and I believe also when you start cold, the 2002 motors (Some) have piston sleeves that are moving. The motors are being warranted to 100k for this model I believe for certain SN# engines. Look into this if you are real concerned about the noise. If it is bad enough you may be able to complain enough to have the motor corrected and or replaced. One good place to get All the info is ALLDATA.com. Its $25 bucks for the year but it has really helped with fixing my sons 97 blazer. Much more information than you will ever get from Chiltons, Haynes ro the dealer combined.. BY the way, I do not have any affiliation with ALLDATA.com
Old October 27th, 2007, 5:47 AM
CF Beginner

[align=left]I too, have a lifter noise when cold only on an 02 TB LTZ. Bought used and now have 80,000 miles of trouble free driving with the exception of the infamous outside air temp problem and a rev'ed up engine due to Xmission slow shifting when cold. New sensor fixed the air temp problem for under $20.00 and a complete fluid change has imrpoved the xmission shifting considerably. Now I need help with the lifter noise. I am sure the I-6 engine has hydraulic lifters. Could it be they are getting gummy or just bleeding down during overnight parking? I don't think it's bad enough to require new lifters yet. If it's gumming up, is there a chemical flush fix I just don't about? It sounds like we have a common problem going here. Has Chevrolet addressed it yet? Any info would be appreciated!
[/align]
Old October 29th, 2007, 8:59 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to TB forum. Yes it does have hydraulic lifters. Are you sure it's lifters and not piston slap? Either way I'd let service listen to it so it's documented. If you have changed oil regularly, I doubt it is gummed up or bleed down. I wouldn't try any chemical fix on a 40K engine.

Quick Reply: Engine / Lifter noise?