TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Engine / Lifter noise?

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine / Lifter noise?

[&o]OK, I'll have a chevy expert look and listen to it. Just know my dealer charges for that service. It really sounds like lifters to me, though. I now have 80K miles and it performs well enough. Just noisy on cold starts. No spark ping or chatter so far so I don't expect it's carbon buildup either. I use Amoco gas usually except when I travel, then I use whatever is at that exit on the Interstate. Sure don't waste money on Premium either ... regular does quite well. I also use Valvolene 5W-30 oil so that should have taken care of lube of lifters. Thanks for the help!
Old November 1st, 2007, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Used to be a problem when inline 6 cylinders were first started cold they were real loud for a moment. The fix was to get an oil filter that has a foot valve so the oil is immediately available to the top end. Fords were notorious for this. Never seemed to cause any issues though.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

OK and Thanks! I thought it might be something like that since I grew up with the old inline 6 from Chevrolet on a 1941 Master 85! Tell me more about the filter you mentioned. What's it look like and how does it work, and even mort importantly, where do I get one?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

LOOKS LIKE REGULAR OIL FILTER GO TO YOR PARTS DEALER AND TELL HIM WHAT U NEED IT JUST HOLDS OIL IN THE SYSTEM AND KEEPS IT FROM DRAINEING BACK INTO OIL PAN THAT NOISE IS MAIN BEARINGS CHATTERING UN TILL THEY GET OIL PRESSURE ON COLD START UPS THAT IS WHY I LIKE FOR AN ENGINE TO CRANK A FEW TURNS BEFORE STARTING THAT ALOWS OIL PUMP TO PUMP UP SOME OIL
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

I suspected as much on the lifters and the mains. At least we have inserts now instead of those old slow engine babbit poured rods in my old 41 .... but I sure wish I still had it! Think my drive thru Valvoline quick station would carry these filters? Or should I just go to Advance or Auto Zone to start with? Surely it's not a dealer part. Probably could even find one at Wal-Mart if I wanted to support China. What do you think the new Buick Enclave results will be with a Chinese Engine and a Japanese Transmission? I know GM says 100K Miles now .... but then, they said that on my TB transmission also and I had to service it at 75K!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

I WOULD GO TO ADVANCE OR BETTER STILL GO TO A HOT ROD BARN OR SUPPLIER IF U KNOW OF ONE