S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

help! lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! lifter noise

Hello,
Sorry if this has been discussed. I'm new to the forum.I browsed 8-9 pages and didn't see anything on this topic. I bought a 2001 extreme s10 about2 months ago with 110kmiles andnoisy lifters (like a sewing machine). I was told it did not affect the engine and I've commuted with it about 60 miles a day. I have had one oil change in which one of the quarts was replaced by an additive designed to "quiet noisy valves and lifters". I did not see any results. Any suggestions? I am due for an oil change and plan to go this weekend. Should I go with a thicker oil? Specific engine treatment?My mechanic has told me that we shouldn't get too aggressive so as to not stir up too much dirt, etc. I just want to take care of this problem with an inexpensive solution rather than open up the engine.Itmay not affect the engine now, buthow about in the future (?)Either way, it'sannoying.

Don't know much about cars/trucks.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was suggested to have the engine flushed prior to changing the oil but in the google search, sounds like hit and miss from some of the testimonials. And the misses sounded disastrous.

p.s. no, the valves are not adjustable.
Old June 28th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: help! lifter noise

I'm having the same problem, except mines "does" get beter as the engine warms up. I'm looking for a service manual to identify possible solutions. When I get further along, I'll let you know how it tuns out.

Old June 28th, 2008, 5:55 PM
CF Veteran

i would find out what the oil pressure is supposed to be stock and put a cheap mechanical gauge on it ,see how much pressure you have first ,that many miles could be rocker arm wear , collapsing lifter's ,no oil pressure .might just take a adjustment of the rocker arms . or oil pump,cam lifter's ect .
Old June 29th, 2008, 9:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

If it doesn't go away after the vehicle reaches running temp, then you need to take it to a mechanic and see if he can diagnose the problem. I know thats not helpful advice, but its really hard to diagnose ticking, knocking, tapping, and clicking noises without being there in person.