TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

front brakes dragging

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2020, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front brakes dragging

I have a newly acquired '03 Trailblazer and while it runs and drives good, i've noticed that the front brakes are dragging some. After a few miles then the front wheels/brakes are pretty hot and it doesn't like to coast very well. Just glancing at the brake pads through the wheels, they dont look very old. Both sides on the front do this and it doesn't pull either direction going down the road. Any ideas what it may be? The red brake light on the dash goes on and off and the abs light is on all of the time if that matters any. Before i tear into it, i'd like to have an idea or two of what it may be since it affects both sides at the same time. I am hoping someone else has had this same issue and knows the fix!
Old October 30th, 2020, 8:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

My first thought is the brake hoses to the calipers are in need of replacement. When they get old and degrade, they sort of act like a one way valve and restrict the flow of brake fluid back to the master cylinder when the brake pedal is released.

The other thought is that the front calipers are both sticky and might be in need of replacement. An easy way to tell is to put a large C-clamp over them and see how easily it is to push the piston back into the caliper. Make sure to remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder so a not to make a mess in the engine compartment. If you can easily bottom out the pistons, then the calipers are likely fine.

Good Luck!
Old November 1st, 2020, 8:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguypmp3
I have a newly acquired '03 Trailblazer and while it runs and drives good, i've noticed that the front brakes are dragging some. After a few miles then the front wheels/brakes are pretty hot and it doesn't like to coast very well. Just glancing at the brake pads through the wheels, they dont look very old. Both sides on the front do this and it doesn't pull either direction going down the road. Any ideas what it may be? The red brake light on the dash goes on and off and the abs light is on all of the time if that matters any. Before i tear into it, i'd like to have an idea or two of what it may be since it affects both sides at the same time. I am hoping someone else has had this same issue and knows the fix!
You need to send us more info and code.

I have a 1998 K-1500 disk brakes in front and have never had that issue. Since 2001 or, so I have seen t lots of issues like yours, likely due to cheap Chinese or Mexican parts that are not of the quality of my pickup, built in GM's Indiana plant right here in the US of A, I am _NEVER_ going to sell it. 22 Years old, and still running like a champ.
Old November 1st, 2020, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, the next day i went out and started it and the front brakes are released. i shut it off and pulled the abs fuse (the abs light was on anyways), and i drove it around hitting the brakes at varying amounts and still no sticking or dragging front brakes. so it must have been an abs issue and hopefully it wont happen again now that i pulled the fuse.