TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2006, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I hope you can help.

Today our 2003 TB EXT speedometer stuck on 70 MPH while the cruisde control was engaged. It now drifts down to 50 or so and goes up to the max as we drive. I have not tried to disconnect the battery yet, but I assume it is mechanical. Recently we had the right front wheel bearing replaced, if this helps diagnose the problem.

Is the cluster bad, or where should I look? Other ideas?

Thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

I have an '04 Trailblazer and this has just started happening to me as well. I noticed on my way to work last week that it wouldn't go past the 20 mph mark, but it was fine when I drove home. I was driving yesterday and noticed it was stuck on 75 mph. I stopped and turned off the engine to see if it would reset, but it stayed in the same spot. Then when I started driving again, it went all the way past 120. There have been no repairs done, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I would also like advice on this issue before I take it for an inevitably expensive trip to the dealership. Thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

I disconnected my negative battery terminal for a minute and reconnected it. It seemed to zero it out and work fine after a short drive. I'll see if this fixes the problem in the long term.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Since last November, my speedometer has acted up. I was picking my son up from the airport and notice the speedometer was at 110 MPH, I thought I had crashed and my son and I were racing to heaven. I tried disconnecting the battery, that works just for a little while. It's hit or miss when I get in whether or not it will work. I took it to the dealership, it was not covered under warranty but the technician said I needed a need speedometer cable.I thought it was just me until I just read these other notes, you think they should do a recall?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 EXT Trailblazer and the RPM needle is acting crazy. It does not want to go back to zero and stays up on like five or six RPMs. If I disconnect the battery, completly, it will zero out, but then it starts climbing again. I have checked everything I know how, even took the gauges display console completely out, to see if it was a loose cable. But it has one electrical plug that runs everything. What I am thinking is either; the gauges display console is going bad or there is an electrical plug, on the engine somewhere that controls that specific gauge. I have bought the HAYNES manual with negative results.

Same thing happened to me EXCEPT that is is the RPM gauge.

surfrata.
Old November 11th, 2006, 1:35 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,

I have had the same problem twice with my 03 Suburban. First time it fixed itself on the same trip, second time it didn't.

I read some posts, spoke to a dealer. The posts suggested disconnecting the -ve battery lead. Dealer suggested a $500+ cluster replacement.

I tried the disconnect and got it back to zero and it seems to be ok, although its only a day, and haven't called the dealer back.

One thing I did realize though was that it stuck when using the Cruise Control on the highway. I tend to to switch the CC on and off a bit due to traffic and mountain highway driving not overly suitable for CC.

I haven't fully explored this but it is food for thought - use of CC is causing the speedometer to lock up at the CC speed setting.

Let me know if this works out for anyone.

Old November 15th, 2006, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Iam new to the forum, but it looks like alot of people had the same problem as me. My 03 trailblazer had a speedometer that was stuck at 60 mph, and would only drop down to about 40 mph. Checked with a local dealership, the said it was a cluster problem and wanted about 600.00 for repair and needed my car for 2-3 days. I found a local shop outside of Seattle, that was able to due the repair in about 2 hours. Cost was 185.00 on the cluster and one hour in labor for repair. They said they are doing 5-10 of these a week, if you ship to them they said a one day turn around. Hope this helps some people out, and maybe save some money. Almost forgot the name was Tacoma Speedometer and Instrument.
Old December 19th, 2006, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

I wanted to post up and say I too have this problem. Some days my speedo works perfectly and other days its either way off in one direction or the other. I noticed that when it goes off or "sticks" you can actually see it trying to move but its like its stuck or something.

Also at the same time that my speedo is messing up; my oil pressure needle also either drops to zero or goes up to the max. At first I thought my oil pump was going but I have found that the engine has perfect oil pressure. Its just the guage. I figure this is an electronic thing and THANK GOD I have this covered under my warranty. (I have a warranty from an outside warranty company - 3 years/36k and it covers everything.

I hate to say it but I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old February 12th, 2007, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone found a solution to this speedo sticking problem? Other than the dealer. Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2007, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

I just got this problem fixed in my 03 ls . The IPC is one big Unit . You can not fix just certain parts of it and the GM360s are known for problems with the IPC. Warranty should cover replacement with no problem. If you are out of warranty buy a US speedo version and they will even transfer correct miles for you and isalot cheaper then dealer.

Quick Reply: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero