TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer stuck - will not go to zero

did you get this fixed for free?
Old February 19th, 2008, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

can you provide any extra details. Went to my dealer and no joy. Want about $400 to fix it. GM wasn't interested.
Old February 26th, 2008, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Hey everyone. I can fix your faultyguages for alot cheaper. I charge $100 + $15 for each extra faulty guage. Just send me your cluster and I'll fix it and send it back to you fixed ASAP.

My email is: ws6_99@hotmail.com

thanks...
Old March 11th, 2008, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

We have a '04 Trailblazer that had this problem 3 times. When taking it back to the Dealer, they finally replaced the instrument cluster on 1/4/08. We have an extended warranty/$100.00 deductible. Total cost parts and labor $742.27 - my cost $100.00. Have many more problems - will post later.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have an '04 Trailblazer and my speedometer is always sticking. I have tried to email GM which seems to be impossible. Does anyone know how to contact them? I have heard this complaint for such a long time, but GM says they are not getting enough complaints.
Does anyone know of a place to order this part for cheap if GM will not fix it?

As of now everyone I know with a speedometer problem has decided they will make sure if they get into an accident they will tell the police and other driver(s) their speedometer wasn't working. I can't believe it will take lawsuits to get this resolved. I guess it all comes down to how much money they may loose?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 2:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Most automakers have long ago disabled any communication between the company itself and the consumer except through the dealer. There was supposed to be a recall on the gauges and they were supposed to be fixed, but whatever happened to that I have no idea.
I know it is annoying. Mine kept doing the same thing in my Blazer. It seems to only happen when I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Thats also the only way to fix mine...
Old March 28th, 2009, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

how come someone from Chevy never posted this:

http://www.speedometersettlement.com/
Old September 15th, 2010, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Just stumbled across this thread, if you need trailblazer speedometer repair I can help out. I repair these and other GM models at my site www.DrSpeedometer.com Thanks
Old October 8th, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

I did some checking on prices to have my cluster rebuilt. I found www.gmgaugerepair.com in a truck trader magazine. I just didn't feel right sending it to the people on ebay, it's probably like an assembly line and who knows if you get your OEM cluster back. Todd rebuilds YOUR cluster and is very professional and answers all your questions and is alot cheaper than other places i checked. They also have white gauges and camo needles and camo lens covers! They have a 24 hour turn around time too. My cluster was back to me in less than a week. Hope this helps!
Old February 18th, 2015, 6:52 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Same for Impalas

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Impala that does the exact same thing, so it does it on cars as well. I have found that it seems to do it more often in cold weather, as the last time this was occurring was last winter. Maybe something with the cold affects the connection on the battery or something, though I have not noticed any other electrical issues. All other gauges and electronics work fine.

When it occurred last year, it would not drop below about 40 MPH, but I could solve the problem simply by cutting the engine and turning it back on. It also happened to coincide with a peculiar power drain on my battery that was noticed when I had it inspected. The problem stopped when spring came around, my battery checked out more than fine upon multiple checks (it was only a year old), and I didn't think anything more of it until it started up again this year. Now it is stuck on the high end of the gauge, not dropping below 100 MPH, and does not right itself when I turn it off and back on.

I am going to try disconnecting the negative pole, sparking it a few times and then reconnecting to see if that fixes it. If it continues to have problems I will run it by O'Reilly or something and have them plug it in. I would like to avoid shelling out $150+ to fix this if possible, but if I have to then so be it. It is not under warranty anymore, being a 2005 and having around 150K miles on it, so I will have to pay for it if it comes to that. A working speedometer is kind of necessary for a vehicle, LOL.

I love my Impala though. Overall it is a well-built vehicle and the previous owner took good care of it. I hope to have it for at least another 50K.

EDIT: Went out and was able to fix it by turning key from "Off" to "Acc" back and forth. The gauge went down in about 5-10 MPH increments each time until it finally got back to zero. I drove it around for a little and it seemed to be functioning fine. If this is all that needs to be done to right the issue it is annoying, but I can tolerate it, especially if it will stop after winter is over. It should also buy me enough time to save up some money to get it fixed. The major concern I have is if it will cause a drain on my battery. I have AAA, but that only grants me so many calls, and if a cell dies I don't want to have to throw down the money for another battery. Battery is a little over two years old now so it might still be under warranty, though.

Last edited by gsmith03; February 18th, 2015 at 7:18 PM.