TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Squeak and slight grinding sensation felt in steering column

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2008, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak and slight grinding sensation felt in steering column

Hi. Looking for some guidance on a growing problem. I have an 2004 Traiblazer LT and its developed a squeak/rubbing noise with a slight grinding/binding sensation whenturning the steering wheel. The noise and grinding is felt at all speeds. I only have to move the wheel an 1/8th of a turn each way to make the noise happen. I have lubricated the upper and lower universal joints in the steering column and the noise still happens. The odd part is that it only appears to do this when the vehicle is warmed up, I have not been able to get in and make it happen when the vehicle has been sitting overnight, it takes about 10 -15 minutes to warm up and then it begins.

I have read several TSB's indicating it could be the lower portion of the steering column or the gear box for the steering column. My mechanic also checked ball joints and the suspension and everything seems fine.Before I tear apart the dash board to start eliminating possible trouble points and begin to get deeper in to this issue I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks!!

Chris
Old November 4th, 2008, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeak and slight grinding sensation felt in steering column

I've seen that on my TB and a friends. It was the rubber boot located where the steering column meets the floorboard.

I cleaned black skuff off of the column and sprayed silicone spray on the boot and haven't had any problems since.