TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

yellow engine warning lights

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow engine warning lights

I recently purchased a 2002 LTZ Trailblazer. I love the car. When i purchased the car it had like a ticking sound when u would start her up but only for like 3 minutes then it would go away. The original owner said that it was from the fan clutch and it was nothing to worry about. H e had even purchased a used clutch but never got around to installing it. two days later as i was driving a yellow engine light came on. i got worried. i kept driving. Then another one came on but with an arrow pointing down in the middle of the engine. I went to a local mechanic and he cleared the alerts. 20 minutes later they came on again. but first the engine light comes on then later on the second one with arrow in the middle comes on. Is this from the fan clutch?? What do these alerts mean?? Im really worried that smthg is going to fail or the car is going to die out on me. All the other guages are stable and i didnt notice any difference in performance. Please anyone help me.
Old October 19th, 2006, 1:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: yellow engine warning lights

The ticking noise is probably piston slap. I would also take the t-blazer to a dealership to diagnos the check engine light
Old February 1st, 2007, 1:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: yellow engine warning lights

ticking noise....can be
cold carbon knock(different from piston slap on the V8's)- it goes awayonce engine is warm- can be quieted down with techron
ticking can also be the fan clutch- when cold- the fan clutch will tick as its doing its thing. once the viscous fluid is moved around in the clutch it goes away. (some say its because of a failing clutch) but Ive read from an engineer that worked at the manufacturing company that it will do this is its fairly cold outside.
Fuel infectors tick- if you have the hood open you can hear it- if hood closed- then most likely the 2 above.
A failing fan clutch- will cause temps to rise---- but with TB- the most commons symptom is that it roars when driving around. the engine makes alot of noise from the clutch being engaged fully. the fan is pulling alot of air. youll also feel a slight loss of power.
Some have reported the check engine light coming on... others no.
there are several part #'s for the fan clutch...
find the newest one. they would also do a software update for the fan clutch