Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Opinion of the Traverse

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2009, 3:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion of the Traverse

I just got a Traverse for a loaner car while my Malibu Maxx is in the shop, and so far I am impressed. Aside from the harsh ride when I go over bumps what a pleasure this SUV is. It's got more than enough room & gadgets to keep me going for a while. The blind spot mirrors are taking getting some used to, as well as the backup camera. It's cool how the picture displays in the rear view mirror. While I don't know what engine my loaner has I have noticed I get around 22 mpg highway, which is close to what GM states for a 3.6 I am going to assume it's that engine. They don't have key fobs on loaner cars, so it annoyingly beeps its horn & flashes its lights after unlocking and opening the door, making it appear as if I am stealing my own loaner car. I get in quickly & turn on the ignition & it goes away. Great stereo system & the heat works great as well.

GM has done a good job with this SUV, although I felt the ride could be more forgiving over bumps.
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reveiw. I have not ridden in one yet, but I sat in one. The overall atmosphere inside the car is very roomy and comfortable. Reminds me a lot of the Equinox interior.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the one I test drove, the front seats are roomy as hell but the back 2 rows of seats are cramped so bad that I couldn't get in the 2nd row with the front seat all the way back, and I'm only 6 feet tall. The motor was sluggish on the one I test drove, the 4.2 on my parents' Trailblazer with 110,000 miles on it had more kick in it than this piece of crap that GM put out, and for the price of a new one give me a Tahoe or Suburban with a V-8, but that is what I thought of it when I drove one
Old May 19th, 2009, 4:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you say youre 6 feet tall.
How big are you?
I mean are you a thin or hefty guy---- 6 feet/300 lbs or 6ft/190 lbs?

that you had trouble getting in concerns me (possible purchase).
If youre hefty- then I dont see anyone in my family having trouble getting in- as my parents are 5 5 and weigh maybe 150-160 lbs at the most.

As for the engine.
Ill have to drive one.
I too have a Trailblazer -im 5K short of hitting 150,000.
plenty of power. So ill have to see how much different that 6 speed makes.
Old May 19th, 2009, 4:46 PM
CF Monarch

I sat in one..
I'm 6'6" and 240lbs and I didn't have a problem in the front seats or the back seats. I was very comfortable.

Hell, in a 4-door Duramax Silverado I can't sit in the back seat with the front seat all the way back.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM
CF Junior Member

i'm 6'1" 245, not real hefty in my mind.

I have an 04 crew cab and my dad who is 6'6" also will sit in the backseat cause it is more comfortable to him back there and the front seat is as far back as it can go also, so I dunno. Was the crew cab duramax and 07-08 or the older body style?

I just wasn't real impressed with the Traverse, Enclave or Acadia, same car basically.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
CF Monarch

Its a 08.

Yeah they are the same. But so is the Tahoe, Escalade, and Yukon. lol
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
CF Junior Member

IDK, maybe I'm just more biased against the Traverse b/c ever since GM introduced it my dad lost his job of 20+ years when his plant was shut down in favor of building these piles of junk that don't even look appealing to even consider buying one to me. Thats just me of course.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Just picked up a 1 LT Traverse, Cyber Grey, a few weeks ago. This was to replace a 2002 Ford Explorer. We found the Traverse because of the 3rd row with 2nd row captains chairs option and DVD entertainment system. Two car seats fit snug in the co-chairs with third row room for the grandparents or others to ride in.

It's only been two weeks, but I plan to post pros/cons after a little more driving.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went and test drove one.
I also looked at one with captains chairs... and Preferred the bench seat for the 2nd row.
I also sat in the 3rd row--- I was surprissed at how well I fit back there.
Im about 510. weigh 165 lbs.
So my mom and grandmother will have no problem sitting back there...
(Ill have to see how she does getting back there)... if she has trouble she may be riding in the 2nd seat....

But I liked the vehicle- I ordered a 2010 in Gold Mist.
I also liked the 20's on the California edition package that were on the LT1 I drive.
But I didnt like the feel of the bumps.
So Ill be getting the 18 inch rims...

anyways-- the CA edition with the 20 inchers- has been discontinued for 2010.

Quick Reply: Opinion of the Traverse