Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Opinion of the Traverse

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

For what it's worth, we picked up our 09 LTZ 4 days ago. Traded in our Olds Silhouette after 130,000 flawless miles. So far, no issues or complaints. Wife and I both love it. So far, I can't find a single thing wrong with it.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for starting this thread!

I just purchased a Traverse LTZ a week ago and immediately took it on a family vacation for a week. Overall, I like it a lot. We had 3 adults and 2 boys (age 10 and 12: both big for their age ) and everyone was very comfortable during the 12 hour drive.

It's true that with the front seat all the way back, even my 10 year old isn't left with much leg room in the second row (l have the auto settings configured to automatically move my seat back when I turn off the ignition for easy exit) but you'd have to have very long legs to comfortably drive with the sent all the way back. I just looked at a '09 Tahoe LTZ and it's no different in that respect.

Gas mileage was great and continues to be back home with normal "city" driving. I confess I am a little underwhelmed by the acceleration. But, at no time was I concerned or felt I wasn't getting enough for the situation.

And, while stylish and feature-rich, the man in me would have preferred the more "rugged" looks of a Tahoe. But, this was a replacement for a Mini Van and the Cross-over was the best compromise.

only one item has me frustrated, and no one at the dealership can explain it. If anyone here has some feedback I'd be grateful. what good are the standard longitudinal rails? Cross bars are an optional accessory . I've looked at the Saturn, GMC & Buick versions and they all have true "rails" or bars running the length of the roof that you can tie off to. the Chevy's are basically just tracks that the accessory cross bars can be installed to. Can't do anything else with them. But, Chevy's site lists them as some wonderful and stylish feature. As a standard feature , they are essentially useless. Am I missing something in my thinking?

thanks, Andy
Old July 6th, 2009, 3:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Chevy left the cross roof rails off as optional to save on noise, MPG, and parts costs.

Now we know theres many SUV owners who had NEVER used their racks- some dont even know you can move them(slide them- like no my Trailblazer)

So I think in this case- with the design- they opted to leave them off..
If you really need them- you order them.
I did...
I ordered a 2010 traverse. and asked that the rails be left OFF...Ill put them on when I need them.
I currently have a 03 Trailblazer- I do use my rails occasionally... but not everyday.
I think on average- in 1 year I use them 8 times.

But from the design- it does appear that the longitudinal tracks are more hidden than those on the other lambdas...

a while back--I did snap pics of a traverse with the cross rails-- and they sure stood out......
I think from a cosmetic point- to keep a smooth flow of the design--- they opted to leave them off...
checkout these pics... they do appear pretty high..

Last edited by rbarrios; July 6th, 2009 at 3:33 PM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

It still baffles me how anyone would see this thing and think "hey this is a great looking vehicle, and I'd like to drop 40k+ on one"
Old July 8th, 2009, 5:21 PM
CF Senior Member

I think it looks great...
Theres other vehicles out there that are just... different...
that nissan cube.... the rear end is odd
do a search for it.. youll see,...

Last edited by rbarrios; July 8th, 2009 at 5:29 PM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 8:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

CUVs in general look kinda funny to me to be honest, but the Traverse looks a hell of a lot better than any other CUV out there to me.
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
CF Junior Member

I've seen the Cube and the Scion xB, both look like a rolling pile of s*%#s to me, hell, someone please explain the whole crossover phenomenon.

you can coat a turd in diamond dust but underneath it all it's still a turd.
Old July 9th, 2009, 4:08 PM
CF Senior Member

The industry as a whole- is moving away from Body on Frame SUV's.
For political/economic/environmental reasons....
Most real SUV's were built on Trucks frames.
Few years ago the SUV craze was at its peak- and people who had no reason to buy an SUV were buying them...
Some drivers out there never even used their 4x4 stuff... they just bought because they had to have one...

fast forward...

Trailblazers Durangos and other are no longer made.
Want an SUV- you have to go to a Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition etc...
Not everyone wants something that big...

The other option is a minivan...

the crossover- uses more of a car chassis- and offers a little bit of an SUV and a minivan.
Ideal for someone like me...

In my case---- I dont need a Tahoe-- but I also cant use a minivan.
Minivans are way too low.
I currently own a Trailblazer- and eventhough Ive never towed--- I have made use of the tow hitch- big time- and piled up plenty on the inside of the SUV.

I make trips were the vehicle is loaded. I also need some clearance on the bottom (some dirt roads in mexico).

I know A Minivan wont handle the clearance.

In my case-- the Chevy Traverse.. is a very nice alternative.
Has a tow hitch receiver.
cross rails.
handles plenty of cargo.
has the tow package.
has enough ground clearance ( I believe its about 4 inches higher off the ground- that a Honda Odyssey)....
There is no way an oddyssey would be able to handle the load as shown below...
The suspension would scrape on some of the road- or rocks... I travel on out there.

these are 2 separate trips--- both pics are out in the middle of the Mexican Sonoran Desert.
The Traverse should be able to handle this.

Old July 9th, 2009, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Another reason is the ride quality.
You get something body on frame like a truck, its gonna handle and ride like a truck. The CUVs are different. It offers the ride quality of a car in an suv-size package.

The xB and Cube are not crossovers, they are subcompacts. Already they seemed to have developed a stereotype...from many observations, they are popularized by the homosexual and liberal environmentalist population whos opinion of a cool car consists of something that is ugly to the passing observer. First the Prius, now this.
I calling it as I see it.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2009 FWD Traverse LS 4 months ago. RETAIL was $30,080.
I would have bought another TrailBlazer, had Chevrolet not pulled the plug on TrailBlazer production. I had a 2002 TralBlazer 4x4 LS, gave me wonderful service for 146,000 miles.

Many standard items on the 2002 TrailBlazer LS are not standard on the Traverse LS. Items that come to mind ..... Leather wrapped wheel, heated mirrors, trailer hitch and wiring, dual climate controls, roof rack, spare tire and jack. The Traverse does have XM radio and OnStar as standard equipment.

TrailBlazer gave me 24 MPG on highway at 65 MPH, Traverse gives me 20 MPG under same conditions.

For me ... drivers seat with lumbar control in TrailBlazer was very comfortable, fit me nicely, seat in Traverse is adequate, by comparison.

TrailBlazer was a "manly type" of vehicle, I6 was snappy. Traverse is more of a luxury vehicle, V6 doesn't impress me with its power or torque output.

TrailBlazer had a very tight turning radius, Traverse has a good turning radius, but NOT as tight.

Both vehicles ride well and rattle free, no wind noise, both have a good feel for the road.

Traverse is a nice vehicle, had TrailBlazers still been around, I would have opted for one of them, for certain. I believe the Traverse has big shoes to fill, but we'll give her the chance to prove herself, just as we did with the TrailBlazer.

Bob

Quick Reply: Opinion of the Traverse