Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Service stabilitrak t/c off loss of power

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2022, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service stabilitrak t/c off loss of power

I have a 2014 Chevy Traverse. I’m having all of the issues mentioned. Service stabilitrak, traction control off, the engine is stuttering, losing power, no check engine light, no power reduction warning. I have noticed that the dash lights are dim, and at some point while driving they become brighter. I don’t know if these problems are connected. Can anybody offer up any advice as to how I begin getting this diagnosed? I bought a warranty when I bought the vehicle used. I have no idea if this would be covered. If this is something GM can help with, how do I get a hold of them?
Old September 10th, 2022, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Traverse Same Issues

I’ve been dealing with this issue for about 6 months. I have been stranded on the highway with my children, unable to drive my vehicle being stuck in traffic on the highway and my vehicle just shutting down without any warning and all 3 warnings showing up on my control panel. The dimmed lights just started about a month ago, now I can’t read my odometer mileage or anything during the day only at night.
I’ve done research after research about this issue,i changed out relay switches, powertrain control module switch, lastly i took apart the throttlebody. Bought some throttlebody cleaner, cleaned all the carbon buildup off of it put it back together. The truck ran fine for about 4-5 weeks. And Then it started doing it again so this time I bought a new throttle body & Also it came with the control sensor, this was just done today so I will let you know if this totally fixes the problem or
just more wasted money I’ve spent trying to fix this problem.
Chevy really should do a recall because there’s thousands and thousands and thousands of people going through the same exact problem.
This is definitely a safety hazard driving your vehicle on a highway or even on back roads and all of a sudden without any warning the engine shut down completely, the steering wheel locks up. I used to be able to start it right back up and it would work fine and get me safely to where I needed to be but after months of dealing with that i had to let it sit for a good 20 minutes before I could start it and be able to pull onto the side of the road and not be stuck in the middle of a street blocking traffic. I have several videos of this happening and i knock on wood this new throttle body fixes the problem. The check engine light did go out almost immediately After replacing the throttle body & that check engine lights been on for the past 6 months just about dealing with this issue.

Last edited by Mellynn38; September 10th, 2022 at 1:53 AM.
Old October 20th, 2022, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

For several months I have had an intermittent problem with my 2009 Chevy Traverse LT. At random times (when starting engine, driving, or parked; warm or cold) the engine suddenly runs rough and sometimes dies. The DIC cycles 3 errors (ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED, SERVICE STABILITRAK, and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL). Last weekend, I was less than a mile from home and was able to drive it home, maximum speed is 20- 25 mph. When parked and idling, the engine ran rough, and the tachometer bounced between 1000 – 1200 rpms. When revving the engine, the tachometer went up and down with the accelerator, as expected, reaching 4000 rpms, but the engine remained fairly quiet, much too quiet to be at 4000 rpms. My wife reported this a few weeks earlier and I didn’t think it was possible until I witnessed it myself.

The first 2 times we had it towed to the mechanic. Now we wait a few minutes, start the engine without a problem, and drive it to the mechanic. The car seems to know when the mechanic is open the car, because it dies before we can drive it to him.

The mechanic has never duplicated the problem but has replaced parts based on the error codes present at the time. Parts are expensive so he replaced only one part with each visit. So far, he has replaced the Accelerator Pedal Sensor, the Throttle Body, the Air Intake Hose, and the Canister Purge Valve. He also performed a Fuel Injection Service ($109) at no charge. After each repair he test drove it several times without duplicating the problem. I pick it up, drive it around town and within a day, a week, or an hour, the problem returns. Now he test drives the vehicle multiple times over a week or two before I take it home. Still, within a day, a week, or an hour after picking it up, the problem returns, and we take it back to the mechanic.

By the way, someone in this thread suggested this issue is caused by ONSTAR. To rule this out, I removed the fuse to the ONSTAR and verified ONSTAR was disabled. The problem returned.

Latest codes: P0014, P0024, P0606, P2101, P216A, P216D, P0300, P0302, P0303, P0305, P0306, U0198

Any suggestions?
Old October 20th, 2022, 6:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes definitely, !!!
Suggest you take the tech for a ride with you. Sometimes we drive differently from the mechanic/tech .
It could be something only you do and not be aware, but if you can duplicate the problem that easily, it would certainly make finding a solution much easier.
Old October 21st, 2022, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

LOL, not sure if you read my whole story. We cannot easily duplicate the problem. That's the point of my story.

If I knew how to duplicate the problem I would have already asked the mechanic to do a ride along. I'm an aerospace engineer experienced in reproducing, diagnosing and fixing Problem Reports (PRs) from customers (airline pilots). I look for patterns in data where everyone else sees only randomness. Cold start or warm start, long or short trips, temperature and humidity, day or night, on hills, inclines or declines, curved, straight, smooth or rough roads. I have not identified any pattern to duplicate the problem. We might drive it a couple weeks without incident. Then it happens out of the blue. When it does we immediately strive to get the Traverse to the dealership, but either the engine dies before we can get it there or the dealership is closed (evenings and weekends).

That's the point of my story. We cannot easily duplicate the problem.
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem but also with abs fault code. I had a faulty hub with the magnet missing from it. That wasreplaced and then we randomly had traction control off, service traction control and service stabilitrak messages. The dealer investigated and had the fault code for the brake light switch stating that both brake and accelerator had been depressed above 11 km/h. Had the dealer replace the brake light switch. Will have to seeif that fixes it
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

the dim lights in the day time is caused by the sensor on the dashboard. My 2014 traverse does it occassionally.It seems too much work to change it so i am leaving it
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please Help!!!

I own a 2012 Chevy Traverse LT, with the infamous 3.6 L.

​​​​​​ Couple months ago I was driving home and the car went limp mode (max 20 mph) and started shooting clouds of white smoke out the tailpipe.

Limped it home and did some diag and research, can't remember the codes but it was for the High pressure fuel Pump, cylinder miss, and stabilitrak.

I got a second opinion on the problem and the mechanic just said I need a new engine. I recently decided to attempt a start it after sitting for months now and ran the codes. It runs extremely rough, bouncing rpms, and gives cylinder 3 mis, and high idle codes. I don't understand why I didn't shoot the same codes from the first time?

Anyways from what I've learned is it could be the HPFP, or my problem is bigger than what I can understand.

I'm going to check fuel pressure, plugs, oil, TB, etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Traverse stability Trac issues

I had the same problem with my 2015 Traverse. Try replacing the brake pedal position switch. It is located near the top of your gas pedal. *Remember This* it must be programmed. Part is about $20 Easy install. Chevy house programming $110. Do not listen to anyone that tells you it's the throttle body.