Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Speakers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sound Issue

We bought a certified used 2012 Traverse with every bell and whistle. Started out loving the car however it currently sits in the dealership service department for the fourth time since last April with the sound issue. The first trip to the service department, they gave us the ole run around of "We couldn't get it to do it, so bring it back when it does". So, we did. Second time, they had our car for longer than anticipated/ promised. We had to continually contact them and they were "waiting on a drive from gm". Once they had the drive, they discovered that was useless and didn't solve the issue. From there they decided to replace the amp and that temporarily fixed the issue.
A few months later, it happened again. All sound for the vehicle would go out. No sound from the turn signals, door alarms, sound system, back up assist, etc. We started to notice that it would happen on really rainy days. We informed them of this and one of the service department people told us that wouldn't have anything to do with it.
They did some more work and it again, was temporarily fixed.
It happened again and now for the fourth time in a year, our car sits at the dealership, since last Friday when it happened, on a rainy day.
I cannot begin to explain how disappointed we are with the car and dealership. Their communication skills are way less than desirable. They don't seam to want to listen when we explain what is happening. We even recorded the sound going in and out on our phone and played that for them. They currently have our car and we've yet to hear anything from them, again.
They've replaced the amp, the fuse box as it had some corrosion from a leak and yet here we sit.
I'm starting to no longer believe in this car and my comfort level has diminished to where I don't feel I can safely have my family in this vehicle. I feel for a certified used car, for the price we paid, the overall health and performance were grossly misrepresented.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default speakers going in and out

I just bought my 2010 chevy traverse and the 2nd day of having it, I get in and notice only the 2 speakers on the dash (along the windshield) were working,, i tried to play with the radio like the fade and balence, but no luck then about 5 min into my drive the driver's door speaker starts working, then another couple min they all starting working again, got out the car n went to get bak n again n noticed no dinging with the key n and door open, half the speakers working again, no seat belt dining bell,, please help so I can try to fix it, could this also be an "AMP"?
Old May 10th, 2015, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default 09 chevrolet traverse lt 1

I'm having kinda the same problem only it just my front door speakers. They intermittently work. And my power side mirrors quit. I have check all fuse and they all are good. Dont know what to do. tweeters and rear door speaker all work fine. And this all seems to happen after a rain.

Last edited by dstnhrmn; May 10th, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue here, 2009 LT Traverse

Same issue here,
Only 2 speakers on the dash (along the windshield) were working
all other 4 door speakers are dead (sometimes they decide to work)

Someone in other forum suggested that there is a roof rack leak so the water get into the connectors and wire cover between the doors is field with water and and get corrosion.

If you guys have any other update, please post it!
Old May 15th, 2016, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

We recently purchased a used 2010 Chevy Traverse. Same issue everyone else here is having. Front tweeters always work. Other 4 door speakers work sometimes but rarely ever (mostly on warm/hot/dry days). More recently they stopped working completely.

I did find a video of a similar problem with the GMC Acadia which may or may not be a temporary fix.

The fact that I no longer get sound at all leads me to believe the problem has made it's way to the amp. It's so frustrating having gone to the dealership and they simply diagnose it as "blown speakers". How can it be "blown speakers" when they work sometimes??? They (the dealership) also act like they've never seen this issue before when all they need to do is do a little research and they'll see how common it is. Our warranty has expired and we purchased a service plan. And of course, the service plan doesn't cover any of the audio equipment. I've never been so frustrated with a vehicle than I am with this one.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same issue. No sound from speakers, blinkers, door chimes. Comes in and out. Also "popping" sounds from the speakers even when the car is off. I've had so many issues with the Traverse I can't wait to get rid of it and never buy another Chevy again!
The following users liked this post:
R.Dixon (September 28th, 2020)
Old June 3rd, 2016, 3:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DeniseBL
I've had the same issue. No sound from speakers, blinkers, door chimes. Comes in and out. Also "popping" sounds from the speakers even when the car is off. I've had so many issues with the Traverse I can't wait to get rid of it and never buy another Chevy again!
Hi DeniseBL,

I am sorry to hear about the speakers in your Traverse and can understand your frustrations. Have you taken your vehicle to a Chevrolet dealership for this concern? Feel free to send us a private message if you are interested in discussing this situation in further detail.

Kindly,

Cristina
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 3rd, 2016, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Help! Similar situation hit a bump all sound and radio went out! I ordered a new radio today hopeing that would fix the problem dash still lights up blinkers work just no sound anywhere! Where is the amp located and how will i know if its out???? Plz reply thank you
Old August 18th, 2016, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 Traverse

I have found the problem with the speakers not working... When it rains, water comes in and runs down the front post's and center post's on the traverse. If you'll open the door and disconnect the wiring harness between the door and body of the vehicle (Easy to do) , water will run out of the connector. The water in the wiring connector is causing the problem... I took a hair dryer and blew out all the water on the passenger door, speaker worked great after that until it rained the next day... I read in another forum that the water is coming in at the roof rack bolts... Very poor design...
Jrb Britt (March 27th, 2022)
Old January 5th, 2017, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2010 Traverse LT, the signal and the speakers and back camera sound completely stopped making any noise. Now there is no sound coming from the radio, the blinkers, or the door chime. I checked several fuses, I have extended warranty that called them but they do not cover and all these issues happened after raining, I wonder why the Gm does not have any responsibility about this kind of problem that happens after raining
Jrb Britt (March 27th, 2022)

Quick Reply: Speakers stopped working