Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Speakers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2017, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is interesting that even my extra warranty that I paid 2500$ does not cover it, I do not know why I bought this car that gets in trouble with raining and no one is responsive
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:58 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers not working on a 2010 Chevy Traverse.

Originally Posted by DeniseBL
I've had the same issue. No sound from speakers, blinkers, door chimes. Comes in and out. Also "popping" sounds from the speakers even when the car is off. I've had so many issues with the Traverse I can't wait to get rid of it and never buy another Chevy again!
I have the same issue with the speakers. Driver side front is the only speaker that works, passenger side will come on occasionally and randomly. I should have never bought this vehicle!!!!! I also have problems with the a/c button flashes 3 times but no cool air. Chevy is horrible!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2017, 7:14 PM
CF Active Member

To all the issue here is GM uses cheap chinese speakers that cost $10. Because all your chimes run thru a single speaker so if the speaker stops working you lose said chimes. I have a GMC Envoy and I had to replace all four speakers in the first five years. Put four brand new Pioneer speakers in and have never had another problem.Replace your speakers .
Old April 22nd, 2017, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Is the amplifier fuse still good? Otherwise, I also suspect a short. You may want to consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I am having the same problem in my 2010 Chevy Traverse, sound just went out but everything is still working properly
Old September 7th, 2018, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mandi21
I just bought my 2010 chevy traverse and the 2nd day of having it, I get in and notice only the 2 speakers on the dash (along the windshield) were working,, i tried to play with the radio like the fade and balence, but no luck then about 5 min into my drive the driver's door speaker starts working, then another couple min they all starting working again, got out the car n went to get bak n again n noticed no dinging with the key n and door open, half the speakers working again, no seat belt dining bell,, please help so I can try to fix it, could this also be an "AMP"?
Originally Posted by DeniseBL
I've had the same issue. No sound from speakers, blinkers, door chimes. Comes in and out. Also "popping" sounds from the speakers even when the car is off. I've had so many issues with the Traverse I can't wait to get rid of it and never buy another Chevy again!

I am currently having the same problem!! what was the outcome of your traverse??

Old October 13th, 2018, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy traverse speakers do not work in the rain.

I have a 2011 chevy traverse and the speakers do not work except the speakers near the dash. I have found thousands of post on this topic. It happens to the acadia the Buick onclave and the chevy traverse. It looks like it is all years from 2009 to 2016. I called chevy about this and they act like I am the first person this has happened to. There is water getting in these cars and filling the connector between the door and the car. These cars leak it is a horrible design. The water travels from the top of the door right on top of the connection. This is also a safety hazard because it shorts out chimes and back up alarms. It is only a matter of time that your vehicle will lose its speakers. So please read this and buyer beware. It is not your amp it is not your speakers it is a design flaw. The dealer will not fix this problem.
The following users liked this post:
audreyg123 (January 17th, 2022)
Old December 16th, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

I just bought the 2019 Traverse, and less than 2 weeks of ownership I heard a loud pop from behind me and then all sound completely disappeared - no turn signal sound, no radio, no apply play... nothing. I drove immediately back to dealership. They gave me a loaner while they checked out the issue. After 9 days in the service department, they told me the computer could not communicate with the radio or the amplifier... both had to be replaced. It sounds that this is a recurring issue that has been going on for many years. You would think someone would fix this problem... I have been a loyal Nissan owner for decades. I hope I haven't made the wrong decision in crossing over to the other side... !!
Old March 4th, 2019, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Recently experienced the same issue with my wife's 2011 Traverse LS.
I had already planned to replace her head unit with a Pioneer AVH-2440NEX so I went ahead and ordered that and installed.
It made no difference.
I had read here that the speakers need to be replaced. I find it extremely hard to believe that all 4 speakers blew at the same time but I found a pair of Boss Audio Ch6530 at Fry's for $15 so I figured it was worth a shot.
After installing the first one (front driver side speaker), the sound returned and I really thought I was onto something. But replacing the second one made no difference and eventually the first one stopped working again - though I did notice that if I turn the volume up, the first one will start working again.

I have not punched a hole in the rubber conduit between the chassis and door, as some suggest to drain water out. I guess that's next.

Anyone have a reference for a pinout diagram for those connections between the chassis and door?
That way I could just plug a speaker up to the connector on the chassis side for troubleshooting instead of removing that door panel every time.
Old April 19th, 2019, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default Here is the fix!!!!

We tried this and found this to work!!!! I noticed it was getting passed by as morenpeople we’re commenting their own traverse speaker issue. If your radio is intermittently working and sometimes sounds tinny (especially after it rains) try this!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by chief-rick
I have found the problem with the speakers not working... When it rains, water comes in and runs down the front post's and center post's on the traverse. If you'll open the door and disconnect the wiring harness between the door and body of the vehicle (Easy to do) , water will run out of the connector. The water in the wiring connector is causing the problem... I took a hair dryer and blew out all the water on the passenger door, speaker worked great after that until it rained the next day... I read in another forum that the water is coming in at the roof rack bolts... Very poor design...
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I found a fix that worked for me.
As I mentioned above, I replaced the front speakers but still had no sound. I finally found the speaker pins the door connector by using an ohm meter from the back of the radio to that connector. They're the two center-most pins in the connector.
Anyway, the way I replaced the speakers was to tear the old one out of the housing and clip the 2 pin speaker terminal off of the housing. I soldered that terminal to the new speaker so I wouldn't have to cut the speaker wire inside the door - I could just snap the male and female together.
Well, after much trial and error trying to figure why I still had no sound with new speakers, I'll give you one guess what the problem was...
It was the speaker terminals that I was reusing. I finally figured it out with an ohm meter going from the speaker past the old connector. Signals weren't passing through the connector. I ended up cutting the terminals out and just soldering the wires together.
Was that the problem all along? Is that why the old speakers stopped working in the first place?
I don't know but I believe that's the case.
Unfortunately, you have to destroy the old speaker to get it out of the housing so I can't go back and test it.

Quick Reply: Speakers stopped working