Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

08 uplander clutch will not engage

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 uplander clutch will not engage

The ac compressor will not engage intermittently. Occasionally it will come on and works perfectly. I recently replaced the compressor, well everything except the rear evaporator. That leaves the ecm and harness. Originally the compressor stopped making pressure and hence the replacement. I need to know about the high pressure switch control of the ecm. Control unit in dash was replaced. What should the voltages be on those three wires and any other thing that would tell the ecm to shut down.

Brian
Old June 2nd, 2019, 5:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How about the condenser cooling fan? If the fan is not working, it will not condense the refrigerant back to a liquid. Pressure will be too high and the clutch will not engage.

Check for a seized fan, blown fuse, wiring issue or fan motor issue.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mpyrol
The ac compressor will not engage intermittently. Occasionally it will come on and works perfectly. I recently replaced the compressor, well everything except the rear evaporator. That leaves the ecm and harness. Originally the compressor stopped making pressure and hence the replacement. I need to know about the high pressure switch control of the ecm. Control unit in dash was replaced. What should the voltages be on those three wires and any other thing that would tell the ecm to shut down.

Brian
I'll look at that. I'll post when I check.
Brian
Old June 6th, 2019, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
How about the condenser cooling fan? If the fan is not working, it will not condense the refrigerant back to a liquid. Pressure will be too high and the clutch will not engage.

Check for a seized fan, blown fuse, wiring issue or fan motor issue.
Back to work on uplander and everthing works as it should. I only drove 10 miles though. Fans cycle as they should. If it overheats it should show warning message on the display. When it does go out I have no ground at the relay from the ecm. I reckon I will get another new hi pressure switch. It can sit for a day and work or not hot or cold. Weird. Going to do a longer ride and let it stop working and check voltages again.
Old September 13th, 2019, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

A/C is still working now in September.
Old September 14th, 2019, 9:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Brian
Who did the work on your system? If you, did you vaccum the system down to -30 PSI for at least 1/2 hour? If you have atmo in the system you wont stop this issue at all and it would ex[lain why your pressures are too high as well.
Old September 14th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

A/C is still working now in September.
Glad to hear it! Carry on!