Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2006 Chevrolet Uplander 3.5L LS

Old June 16th, 2019, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevrolet Uplander 3.5L LS

Hello I'm getting conflicting information on what motor oil to use for the 2006 Chevrolet Uplander 3.5 LS. The owner's manual says 5w 30 but when I go to a auto parts store like AutoZone O'Reilly's or Advance Auto parts to put the correct type of motor oil they all pull up synthetic oils?
And is it true if you change to a synthetic oil you have to continue using a synthetic oil which I've heard a lot of Auto parts say?
Old June 16th, 2019, 4:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

A synthetic or synthetic blend of the proper weight will be fine. For an 06 probably a high mileage oil selection as well. I buy whatever decent brand is on sale; have 350k on the two cars I maintain
Old June 16th, 2019, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
A synthetic or synthetic blend of the proper weight will be fine. For an 06 probably a high mileage oil selection as well. I buy whatever decent brand is on sale; have 350k on the two cars I maintain
Thanks, so what about when someone changes to synthetic blend they have to continue to use that and can't go back to conventional oil ?
Old June 26th, 2019, 4:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can switch back & forth from synthetic to conventional. Conventional 5W-30 is all that is required (what was put in the van at the factory). Get some Walmart Supertech or whatever is on sale.
Old June 27th, 2019, 8:08 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i remember hearing something about synthetic doing something to the gaskets/seal and if you go back it will cause leaks. i dont really remember seeing any facts on this
Old June 27th, 2019, 9:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That's just a myth. You can switch between the two at any time. If cost is a concern, Wal-Mart Super Tech Full Synthetic is an excellent synthetic oil. Testing shows it outperform many of the well known name brand synthetic oils.

5W-30 is the same viscosity whether it's conventional or synthetic.

I've worked on engines that have been run on conventional oils and synthetic oils. The synthetic only engines are always perfectly clean inside where as the conventional only engines varied from slight buildup to massive buildup of thick oil deposits.
Old September 17th, 2019, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Neutral safety switch anyone knows how to replace it, can it be bypassed?

I have a 2006 Chevy Uplander LS 3.5, it has a bad Neutral safety switch, so when in park it does not identifies that it is in park there for it won’t crank, any solution or may it be something else instead of yhe actual switch
Old September 17th, 2019, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by juan manuel alvarez macias
i have a 2006 chevy uplander ls 3.5, it has a bad neutral safety switch, so when in park it does not identifies that it is in park there for it won’t crank, any solution or may it be something else instead of yhe actual switch
desperately need help on this
Old September 17th, 2019, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Juan you will have more success starting a new thread vs jumping on this old one

Search this Thread