Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2005 with Service Traction/Stability/ABS lights, B035 B036 B040 B0281 B0253

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2012, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 with Service Traction/Stability/ABS lights, B035 B036 B040 B0281 B0253

We have a 2005 Terraza CXL that used to have intermittent "Service ABS System", "Service Traction Control", and "Service Stability Control" messages. Now they are on steady and won't go away when the car is turned off and back on again.

The scanner at Advance Auto says:
B035
B036
B040
B0281
B0253

I am really hoping this is a wiring problem, but I wonder if anyone with experience with uplander/terraza platform can point me in the right direction before I follow what seems to be a common path of spending $$$$ to have the problem not fixed.

P.S. unless somebody warns me away from them, I'm probably going to buy one of these "service manual" on DVD from eBay
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
CF Active Member

B35 & 36 have to do with your airbag wiring...I don't have experience with them but that's what the list said...Looks like a wiring issue...35 is a closed short...36 is open...hopefully someone can help you with where to look for a problem. Having them both come up might be very indicative of a particular problem that I don't know about.

B253 and 281 don't even show up on the list

Generic scanners have been known to have trouble with many codes - based on the dash trouble lights, your problem is likely a wheel speed sensor in one of the front wheel hubs...alternately, there have been issues with the wiring harnesses going to the wheel hubs, either could be a problem...

I won't steer you away from the ebay service manual as I've known folks who have bought them and use them all the time. It might also be worth a few $ to have someone with a GM Tech2 scanner read the codes, you will likely get much more specific information. as I understand it, the B codes are not standardized like the emissions codes so generic readers often don't know what to do with them.

Best of luck...
Old September 17th, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Multiple lists

There must be multiple lists with multiple descriptions, I guess for different manufacturers? It makes no sense to have brake and speed stuff calling out traction/stability/ABS warnings. Still I found

DTC B0035 ADS Closed/Shorted to Ground
DTC B0036 ADS Open/Missing/Shorted to Battery
DTC B0040 LF/Driver Side Deployment Loop Resistance Low
B0253???

B35,B36,B40,B281,B253 were what were left over. Before that I had a fast-talking clerk call out in addition (something like?) the following codes. They said they were the same as the B codes, which made no sense to me, and they went away when I shorted the battery wires to clear the computer later in the day. I'm afraid these might not be correct due to high velocity speech and superfast scanner control fingers on the guy with the scanner. They gave me the codes and I found these descriptions when the BRAKE light was on, in addition to the 3 warning messages, when it was scanned without shutting off the car:

C0036 Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Range/Performance
C0040 Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction
C0281 (tripped when two wheel sensors on one shaft throw codes (which is the C0035(?) and C0040)... which I also found described as ...(The EBCM detects an open or shorted brake switch or brake switch circuit.)
C0253 Centering Fault (steering wheel position sensor)

This page calls out "#PIT3743B: Various ABS DTCs And Intermittent Concerns" and says to check the wiring harness over the transmission from the EBCM. The harness on our car is close to but not rubbing hard on a couple of spots. I can see it could be a problem on a monday/friday built car. Nothing is worn through that I could see.

I also found that there is a kit or instructions or something "docid #2006283", where they rerouted the wires to the hubs, because the wires would LOOK intact but be intermittently open INSIDE due to breaking from fatigue when the wheels are turned. If both sides were calling out faulty hub sensors, that could make sense. Need to get back under there to check the speed sensor wires.

Different answers for the same code =
I get the feeling I'm going to be paying for a subscription to alldata here shortly, and/or paying somebody with a gen-u-wine tech2 scanner to hook it up. This sucks quite a bit, as our other car is a Hyundai and their shop manuals are online, free - including connector and ground locations. Also I'm going to have to remember to have them clear the codes with the scanner in case shorting the battery leads won't quite do the job.

Does anyone know where the EBCM grounding connection is hiding? I was an AT in the USN and I'm not afraid of a bit of wiring, I just need to know where to look. Thanks for reading my book, if you made it this far.

Last edited by Stocker; September 17th, 2012 at 7:46 PM.
Old September 21st, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

reset abs service light 2006 chevy uplander
Old September 23rd, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

It's alexander 58 . . . because the previous 57 got banned for being spam generators?