Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2006 Uplander Steering noise?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2007, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Uplander Steering noise?

I've been having a problem with my uplanders steering. IT makes a noise when I turn the wheel and started about 5000 kms, i'm currently at 24000 kms, and have tried to contact my GM Service manager. Anybody have a problem with their 2006 steering? It's really noticeable now when i turn left with out the breaks pressed. When I step on the break it's really noticable with a slight vibration on the steeringwheel. I'm about to just call the news for the consumer protection report.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2006 Uplander Steering noise?

Hi DerekJay, I have the same problem. It started when it was brand new. It didn't return in the middle. After repair it was fine(7000km). Now I have the noiseagain (20000km), no repair made or promised.
Gyugyu
Old June 13th, 2007, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

My 2006 Uplander started with the steering related defects, grinding, popping and the road feeling like its coming thru the wheel at 4520 miles. Two racks, three intermediate shafts and two repacking of shafts later, I have had enough of it. A GM representative told me there is a design fix in progress but could give no detail on the time frame or availability of it. This would not be a recall for the retrofit as it is not considered a safety defect.

I know at least three other people with the same vehicle who have no complaints with the steering. Any suggestions on this would be helpful. My wife wants to get rid of it! I have owned GM products my whole life and would like to sort it out the right way if there is a fix to it.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

I have had the same problem with my '06 Uplander, started around 4500 miles. First fix, new rack (9900 miles), second fix CV boots ~14,000 miles), third fix relube lower collar (~17,000), at this point I sent in a last chance letter to GM, final repair attempt a GM tech came out to the dealership and relubed the intermittent steering shaft(~18,000) The noise returned at about 23,000 miles and I am about to begin arbritation under lemon law with GM. The BBB opened mycase and I am currently waiting to hear if GM has a final offer before preceding with the process. GM's first offer after the third attempt was an extended warranty (they called it something else) for 60,000 additional miles, second offer was a year of free maintenance in response to a stabilizer link needing to be replaced and rotors already warped, and the third offer was again the extended warranty this time with one month's car payment. In addition to the steering problem I have had the voltage regulator replaced, a second row seat fixed (release cable disconnected), the liftgate adjusted because it was rattling so bad, a stablizer link to stopa clinking noise in the rear end (which still exists), and my rotors turned due to warping.Hopefully this mess will be over soon and I canstay out of the shop andbegin enjoying my free time again!