Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2007 Uplander LT electrical issues; spark plug location help

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Uplander LT electrical issues; spark plug location help

Does anyone own this particular vehicle and can tell me why the power locks don't work when it's blistering hot outside, as well as the automatic doors failed because of the contact pin on the left door broke, and the rear quarter windows not opening anymore? The car has over 126K miles on it, has an LZ9 3900 V6 OHV MFI engine (std. fuel) that also needs the spark plugs replaced. Where are they located at and how can I fix the electrical problem on the van with the power locks and quarter windows? It's more of a suggestion to have automatic doors since they were always problematic since the early 2000's to begin with. I can lock the doors manually, except for the rear door (why they didn't put a door key lock on the rear lift gate is beyond me).

The old 99 Safari had electrical issues as well (door actuators gave out and the lights never turn on when I open the sliding door or the lift gate).

Last edited by ChevyHeavy; October 25th, 2018 at 4:25 PM.
Old October 10th, 2018, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

re. sparkplugs:
buy new wires too. i have yet to see a single uplander that had easy-to-remove-without-damaging wires... even saw one with shiny new-looking wires.
its a fwd v6 sooo theres 3 right in front and 3 round back. loosen dogbones etc and ratchet strap the motor forward to get the 3 rears
Old October 11th, 2018, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 12three
re. sparkplugs:
buy new wires too. i have yet to see a single uplander that had easy-to-remove-without-damaging wires... even saw one with shiny new-looking wires.
its a fwd v6 sooo theres 3 right in front and 3 round back. loosen dogbones etc and ratchet strap the motor forward to get the 3 rears
That's what I was afraid of for the spark plug placement in the rear. My Oldsmobile Intrigue is the exact opposite (my friend got to the rear spark plugs without issues). Well, time to go to the shop to get new spark plugs and wires.
Old October 12th, 2018, 9:47 PM
CF Active Member

i have tried just pulling on about 6 different 3.9 uplanderss plug boots at junk yards and i broke every wire i touched... i want to check my plug gaps but its not worth wrecking the wires. it clocks in at 25-26mpg highway with weight in back so i suppose its no concern...

i have boot pliers but i dont think the ones i have will do any better than my hand. theyre made by 'performance tool' and chinese if i recall. i think the lisle brand ones are usa but the design is similar and likely wont do much to aid in removal.
boot/wire removal tips appreciated
Old October 19th, 2018, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

I just did plugs on my 2008 3.9. I did the rear from under the van. wasn't too bad, at least you can see the plug wires. If you haven't replaced a lot of sparkplugs you might want to have someone else do it. The rears have to be done all by feel and if you are not use starting a plug by hand you can cross thread one and then it will cost a lot more.
Old October 19th, 2018, 1:41 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by BobV
I just did plugs on my 2008 3.9. I did the rear from under the van. wasn't too bad, at least you can see the plug wires. If you haven't replaced a lot of sparkplugs you might want to have someone else do it. The rears have to be done all by feel and if you are not use starting a plug by hand you can cross thread one and then it will cost a lot more.
were you able to remove the boots and wires without damaging them? tips?
Old October 19th, 2018, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

were you able to remove the boots and wires without damaging them? tips?
I was able to get all the boots off without any damage to them. giving them a twist before pulling helps a lot, but no guarantee.
Our 2008 only had 90,000 mile on it, from second owner, they said, and I believe, all that was done was oil changes . new plugs made a big difference.
Old October 19th, 2018, 10:24 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by BobV
I was able to get all the boots off without any damage to them. giving them a twist before pulling helps a lot, but no guarantee.
Our 2008 only had 90,000 mile on it, from second owner, they said, and I believe, all that was done was oil changes . new plugs made a big difference.
did you use your bare hands or some brand of boot pliers?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

did you use your bare hands or some brand of boot pliers?
Both, some I could get my hands on and turn and pull, the others I got some regular plyers to turn then pull