Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Another Day a new problem Remote start this time!

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Day a new problem Remote start this time!

I had a new problem today when I went to use my remote start this morning it did not start the panic alarm started going off instead! I tried it a couple of times during the day and the same results it worked ok yesterday. I tried the other key fob and the same results. Anybody ever have this problem I am starting to think this van hates me!!!

Thanks for any help!!
Old November 28th, 2011, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Tonight i tried holding down the lock button as i held down the start button and it started but if i still try it like it is suppose to start i still get the panic alarm
Old November 28th, 2011, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

No, your van does not hate you, it's the remote start. I've installed quite a few of these in the past, some worked fine, but there were some that had really odd problems. For instance, I installed one in a 2002 Cavalier. After a year or so, as this person was driving down the road the parking lights would just begin to blink for no reason - as if the flashers were on and you could hear the relays unside the remote start module clicking. They would continue to blink even after the car was shut off. The only way to stop them was to unplug the wiring harness from the module - removing all power. The problem was with the remote start module itself. I replaced it and the problem never came back. Another I installed would just lose the programming after working fine for a few weeks. I replaced the entire unit and the same problem. Worked for about a month then lost the programming. It would reprogram with no problems and hold for a while, then do the same thing whenever it wanted. I ended up just giving that customer his money back. I have my own installed in my 1998 pickup and it worked fine for years (about 11). About a year ago it started to crank the engine, but not start. I checked all connections, especially the passlock connections (the security light would just come on by itself while driving) and all was well. Tried reprogramming it but no go. I finally installed another module; programmed it and it has been working fine since and no more secutity light illuminating. The only thing I can recommend is checking all your connections, especially grounds, but in your case don't count out a bad module. It does happen. I won't install them anymore. They are not worth the problems you may encounter. From your post I assume this is factory installed? Something in there is confused. Sorry, I know this is not much help with your problem, but you are not alone. You may want to try to reprogram key FOB's. This may fix your problem.

Hope this in some way helps,

Jack
Old November 30th, 2011, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Jack, Yes it is a factory remote I want to check the module connection but i haven't been able to find where it is do you have any idea where it would be in the van
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Remote start problems

I have the exact same problem with my van - I would like to know where the module is too. Perhaps there are companies out there that can refurb it for cheap?
Old March 5th, 2012, 4:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> KGBall and zx6rf7,

To start the engine using the remote start feature, do the following:

1. Aim the remote keyless entry transmitter, equipped with the remote vehicle start button, at the vehicle.

2. Press and release the transmitter’s lock button, then immediately press and hold the remote vehicle start button until the vehicle’s turn signal lamps flash, or for at least two seconds, if the vehicle’s lights are not visible. The vehicle’s doors will be locked.

3. When the vehicle’s engine starts, the parking lamps will turn on and remain on while the engine is running.

If this procedure does not remote start the vehicle properly, the remote may need to be re-matched to the vehicle. Please see your dealer to have the fobs re-matched.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 17th, 2012, 1:39 AM
CF Beginner

It is a failure in the remote fob. There are repair kits available, but it may also need to be resoldered. A competent electronics repair tech can do this.