Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

A/C quit working after freon (stop leaking)

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C quit working after freon (stop leaking)

Hi All

I bought the van 8 months ago and the AC had been working with no issues. However, it quit giving cold air after 5000 miles.

I could hear that compressor was kicking so I decided to put some Freon which worked! My van was out of freon again after 40 days. I was convinced that there was a leak in the A/C compartment. Thus, i took the van to a local mechanic and i told him what was going on. He said it would be fairly expensive to find the leak ($300-$350), so he suggested to put some freon (WITH STOP LEAK) and it may fix the problem, or at least extend the period. I charged it one bottle of regular A134 and A134 with stop leak. I drove the van for a few hours and AC was working OK. Then, i parked the car and did not start it for about 3 days. Now, the compressor does not kick and i get no cold air eventually . Any suggestions? Because when i parked the car, the A/C was working fine. After it sat for a few days, the whole A/C system quit...

Thanks
Old October 12th, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your leak is getting bigger. Time to find a reputable A/C shop and bite the bullet.

I think you need a new mechanic.

Last edited by Papa Bear; October 12th, 2012 at 1:54 PM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it leaked out while parked. The compressor is limited by a low pressure switch. To confirm it you can jump the switch and if the compressor kicks in you are low again. Do not leave it crossed as you will waste the compressor and it will do you no good if it is that low. You can buy a small can of dye to inject then charge it. I suspect if you look at the high and low side line valves and see if they are leaking, rather common. Otherwise with a black light flashlight you can look around and look for the dye to glow where it is leaking. Look at your condenser in front of the radiator for stone impact damage. When you replace the leaking componet you should also plan on replacing the receiver dryer and you will need to vac it down to pull the moisture out. Unless you have the gauges, vac pump you will in the long run be paying a shop to make the repair. You keep dropping store bought charge cans you really dont know how much oil is has accumulated in the system and this will have to be pulled out and the specified amount for the system injected with the R134a, if you want it to cool properly.
Old October 16th, 2012, 1:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

fomenter,
If you decide to work with your dealership on getting this addressed and wanted for us to check into this further with you, please contact us via private message with more details (including your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service