Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Clunking sound passenger side front

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2021 | 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Clunking sound passenger side front

Hello, I am new to the forum.
I have a 2009 Uplander that has 122000 km.
Recently my wife noticed a sound coming from the passenger side front end when turning. I took it for a test drive and heard a mild "clunking" sound when slowly accelerating after coming to a stop. The same clunking sound is there when turning. The sound does not continue while driving straight or going over bumps. After arriving back home I sat in the driveway, foot on the brake, and shifted from Park to Drive and then to Reverse. I did this several times without moving and heard the same brief clunking sound from the front passenger side each time I shifted. Sounds like "clunk-clunk-clunk" then stops.
I inspected the underside of the passenger side and the CV axle boots, tie rod end, and ball joint all look in good condition. I read that worn motor mounts can cause a clunking sound too. I removed the motor mount and found it to be in very good condition. The transmission fluid is full and shifting into gear is solid, no issues.
I replaced the CV axle on the driver's side a year ago after hearing a more obvious ticking sound when turning and then discovering a torn boot. This sound is not the same but could it be the CV axle on the passenger side? Is it possible that when first shifting into gear the CV axle is slipping and makes the "clunking" sound that I hear?
Any help in identifying the source of this sound would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.
Old May 8th, 2021 | 11:52 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Prairie Sun
Hello, I am new to the forum.
I have a 2009 Uplander that has 122000 km.
Recently my wife noticed a sound coming from the passenger side front end when turning. I took it for a test drive and heard a mild "clunking" sound when slowly accelerating after coming to a stop. The same clunking sound is there when turning. The sound does not continue while driving straight or going over bumps. After arriving back home I sat in the driveway, foot on the brake, and shifted from Park to Drive and then to Reverse. I did this several times without moving and heard the same brief clunking sound from the front passenger side each time I shifted. Sounds like "clunk-clunk-clunk" then stops.
I inspected the underside of the passenger side and the CV axle boots, tie rod end, and ball joint all look in good condition. I read that worn motor mounts can cause a clunking sound too. I removed the motor mount and found it to be in very good condition. The transmission fluid is full and shifting into gear is solid, no issues.
I replaced the CV axle on the driver's side a year ago after hearing a more obvious ticking sound when turning and then discovering a torn boot. This sound is not the same but could it be the CV axle on the passenger side? Is it possible that when first shifting into gear the CV axle is slipping and makes the "clunking" sound that I hear?
Any help in identifying the source of this sound would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.
Yeah, I think your CV shaft needs to be replaced.
Old May 9th, 2021 | 12:31 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, after further inspection, another test drive, and a little more reading I am convinced that the passenger side CV axle has a worn joint. No physical signs of damage but the clunking sound can only be coming from that location. Looking into sourcing a replacement part and will post back once it is replaced.
Old May 10th, 2021 | 12:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Did you check for worn sway bar end link ? That would be my first guess ....
Old May 10th, 2021 | 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

mine has made a ton of mystery sounds over the yrs...
cv was one. mine was clicks/pops on turns,
an odd one that reverberates under the car and is hard to pinpoint is the exhaust heat shield. if it jiggles you should at least wire it up. putting it into gear and turning and accelerating would cause the shield to slap and it mimicked cv and suspension noises.

ultimately my solutions involved throwing high quality parts every time deals came up. still doing it in fact... luckily no suspension/drive parts are too pricey on these
Old May 11th, 2021 | 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Did you check for worn sway bar end link ? That would be my first guess ....
Last Saturday I had the front end supported on jack stands and both tires off. Then I checked each side including the sway bar for signs of wear or damage. The only thing that I was uncertain of was the CV axle on the passenger side. Found a video online where a guy is rotating his lifted tire a little clockwise and then counter clockwise while listening/feeling for the play in the CV axle joints. Sounded just like mine - a noticeable “clunking” sound before it felt, for lack of a better word, engaged.
Old May 11th, 2021 | 9:23 AM
CF Active Member

this video is spot on.
some notes: when separating ball joint be mindful of the lip on the arm near the balljoint (pictured at 11:55). i was trying to beat the separator in on one side and it wasnt going anywhere bc it was hitting the mostly hidden lip on the arm.

use permatex black silicone to repair the ball joint boot if needed (you will likely cut it with the separator)

pulling the axle out is usually easy with your hands. putting it back in is a different story. i cringed when i saw him do it but ultimately i hate to say his method of smacking a hammer with a hammer is what i did and it is probably the best way. those boots are tough. mine did not get damaged, his did not get damaged... i aint got a better way to do it. if you do bust the boot that permatex black silicone is very strong, maybe even as strong as the boot from the factory. it is stronger than the ball joint's thin boot for certain.
Old May 16th, 2021 | 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Well, new CV Axle went in but noise did not go away. Really thought I had done the research to pin point the problem. Back to the drawing board...

I believe I can recreate the sound simply by rocking the vehicle forwards and backwards from pushing on the front end. If I get it rocking enough a "groaning/clunking" sound comes from what appears to be the same location as I described in previous posts above. No other symptoms. I took it for another test drive a moment ago. Noise is only briefly audible when shifting into drive or reverse, initial acceleration from a stop, and starting to accelerate into a turn. While driving everything sounds good and feels good.
Old May 16th, 2021 | 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Don't know whether to laugh or face palm at this point... Maybe both?

Found the source of my clunking sound. I rocked the vehicle back and forth and heard a clunking sound similar to the one when I was driving. I did this from several locations trying to "look, listen, and feel" where the noise was coming from. At one point I had the hood open and rocked the vehicle with one hand on each corner cross-frame bar. I did this several times and kept thinking that it felt as though the sound was transmitting to my left hand (passenger side). Initially I dismissed the notion that it might be a clue. Eventually, I was at the point to try anything. I got out my automotive stethoscope and placed the end on the corner cross-frame bar as I rocked the van. Sound was definitely coming from the cross-frame bar - not just my imagination. Then I removed the front two bolts and repeated the rocking. No clunking sound. Ya gotta be kiddin' me... I tightened the bolts and the tried the ultimate test - take it for a drive. No clunking sound. Aw man, and I had to go through the pain of removing the axle seal for the new CV axle for nothing (well, read somewhere that if you replace the CV axle you should replace the seal, so...).

Several months ago I removed the battery which meant moving the corner cross-frame bar out of the way. Obviously, I didn't torque the bolts properly and they must have gradually loosened off until the bar started "clunking" under torque from the engine block moving. Damn!

On the positive side, my wife's vehicle has two new CV axles - one that needed to be replaced a year ago and the other more recently was, I guess, just for practice.
The following users liked this post:
Inari (July 20th, 2023)
Old May 16th, 2021 | 11:00 PM
CF Active Member

i replaced one seal that looked like it either leaked or got leaked on, left the other side as-is. no probs from either one so far. cant remember if i used felpro or delco, but it worked. i dont know, i figured i would get it when i did struts/lca's... probably need to crack that driver side side trans cover and get the solenoids all in the same weekend...

Quick Reply: Clunking sound passenger side front