Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Considering buying a used Uplander

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2018, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the only common issues i have seen are coolant cross over gaskets, wheel speed sensor hub and bearing issues. Engine and transmissions seemed to hold up. They can be picked up for cheap.
Old January 12th, 2018, 9:56 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the only common issues i have seen are coolant cross over gaskets, wheel speed sensor hub and bearing issues. Engine and transmissions seemed to hold up. They can be picked up for cheap.
Thanks for the information. From what I have read, the 3.5 v6 is better than earlier ones for head gasket problems and the 3.9 was supposed to improve the design even better. Would you recommend one over the other?
Old January 13th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

never had to do a head gasket on either one. In general for all makes; newer models years would have design improvements. check out the lemon aid reviews in a local library. Buy what you think is best. consider paying a hour labour for a mechanic to inspect it.
if you have a code reader...check the inspection monitors. if any are reading incomplete...the seller has cleared codes and is trying to hide a problem. You want to see that all the monitors have run and passed.
Old January 13th, 2018, 7:03 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

never had to do a head gasket on either one. In general for all makes; newer models years would have design improvements. check out the lemon aid reviews in a local library. Buy what you think is best. consider paying a hour labour for a mechanic to inspect it.
if you have a code reader...check the inspection monitors. if any are reading incomplete...the seller has cleared codes and is trying to hide a problem. You want to see that all the monitors have run and passed.
Seeing I have not had experience with how the codes work in these models, I was not aware that they would not come back after clearing if the problems were not corrected. I suppose a previous problem might not show up again immediately. One small dealer thought the service traction and stability message on his would go away after the worn tires were replaced. The low tire pressure warning did go away after adding air. From the manual there is a bit about the wrong tire size could trigger the check engine light.

But even if the check engine or other warning messages could indicate a simple problem, I would not risk buying a car in hopes of an easy fix.
Old January 14th, 2018, 1:25 PM
Super Moderator

that's not the point.

If you don't check the I/M monitors...you could end up buying a car that has problems and you would never know it because the mil light wouldn't be on.
If you buy it with I/M monitors incomplete; it wouldn't pass emission testing.
Old January 15th, 2018, 8:51 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

that's not the point.

If you don't check the I/M monitors...you could end up buying a car that has problems and you would never know it because the mil light wouldn't be on.
If you buy it with I/M monitors incomplete; it wouldn't pass emission testing.
Tech2, I appreciate your help. Is there an economical tool I can purchase myself from the autoparts store that you would recommend? Many of the used cars I am interested would not be convenient to take to my mechanic for inspection. I am fairly comfortable with electronics if I know the steps.
Old January 15th, 2018, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator

creadervi by launch is what i have
that price is a steal of a deal
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/code...SABEgJi-vD_BwE
Old January 15th, 2018, 3:05 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

creadervi by launch is what i have
that price is a steal of a deal
Do I need the VI+? I can get the VI for the same price at Amazon without the longer shipping time from overseas.
Old January 15th, 2018, 8:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DLB
Do I need the VI+? I can get the VI for the same price at Amazon without the longer shipping time from overseas.
From the product description on the website:

" What is the difference between Creader 5+ ,Creader 6 and Creader 6+?

Creader 6+ can support the JOBD OBD for Japanese Cars.

Creader 6 and Creader 5 + can not support."
Old January 16th, 2018, 9:56 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
From the product description on the website:

" What is the difference between Creader 5+ ,Creader 6 and Creader 6+?

Creader 6+ can support the JOBD OBD for Japanese Cars.

Creader 6 and Creader 5 + can not support."
So if I am understanding correctly, I don't need the Creader VI+ since I am not purchasing a vehicle that was sold in Japan.