Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Considering buying a used Uplander

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2018, 2:12 PM
DLB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there are so few Uplanders and related minivans in our area, I have been looking at the Trailblazer and Envoy SUV's. I thought since they were more popular and would go for higher prices, but surprisingly, similar year/mileage/condition models are getting similar prices. However, I understand they use more fuel in general. If I go with 2WD I can save some in fuel, but am concerned with traction in snow like we are having here in Ohio.

Chrysler FWD minivans perform so well in the snow, that I dread switching to 4WD and doubt that 2WD will work as well for me. Has anyone here experience with both Uplander and Trailblazers on snow and their comparison MPG?
Old January 19th, 2018, 7:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Southwestern Ontario .. right across Lake Erie from you.
I am 73 yrs old and never owned, nor needed to own, a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
I was very satisfied with the MPG of my 2007 Uplander - I drove "normally" and kept the maintenance up.
Keep good tires on an Uplander and (if you know how to drive) you can go with the traffic in winter.
Today I own a 2016 Grand Caravan but it is no better in snow than the Uplander .... if GM had continued and updated the Uplander series I likely would have bought it instead of the Chrysler.

As I said earlier, rust/corrosion was my biggest enemy.
If you could find a southern 2007 Uplander (big brakes) with minimal rust, low mileage and well maintained it would be a good vehicle.
Old January 19th, 2018, 9:30 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
I was very satisfied with the MPG of my 2007 Uplander - I drove "normally" and kept the maintenance up.
Keep good tires on an Uplander and (if you know how to drive) you can go with the traffic in winter.
Today I own a 2016 Grand Caravan but it is no better in snow than the Uplander .... if GM had continued and updated the Uplander series I likely would have bought it instead of the Chrysler.

If you could find a southern 2007 Uplander (big brakes) with minimal rust, low mileage and well maintained it would be a good vehicle.
Thanks for your comments. I am in no hurry as I still have my 95 Town and Country for transportation. But it gets discouraging looking for a GM minivan in this area. Every time I look at one there are problems either mechanical or rust. That is why I began looking at SUVs as they are more common around here. I don't think I need 4WD either, but if I do find a good deal on a Trailblazer or Envoy I might consider it.
Old January 19th, 2018, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Usually the words "good MPG" and "AWD" aren't used in the same sentence ....
The following users liked this post:
Douglasskemp (November 11th, 2022)
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:09 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

To update: I did find a 2005 Montana SV6 with 100,000 miles and no rust. My mechanic checked it out and it seems to have been well maintained. Originally I was not looking for the luxury model, but the leather seats hold up so well and the extra features are more fun! I expect as our second vehicle it will serve me well for several years,
Old February 15th, 2018, 7:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Great. Hope it works well for you.
Old March 19th, 2018, 11:37 AM
DLB
CF Beginner

Hey Papa Bear,

What did you mean by "big brakes" on the 2007 Uplander?