Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Electrical "problems" with 2008 Chevy Uplander LS extended van

Old July 18th, 2010, 3:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here still but no massive shut down yet. I'm leaning towards it being the ECM or PCM. More so on the ECM at this point. I've been told the part costs 450 not including labor from GM. I had my alternator and battery tested multiple times. Yea... GM needs to own up on this one. Once I'm better prepared I will be taking it in and should I get any push back on them doing it for free I'll be getting in touch with a lawyer... Keep this thread going please and add whatever you can. I don't believe this to be a isolated few and far between type of issue.
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed but at a cost!

Well after a long wait and a lot of speculation I think we have a resolution. Sadly it turned out to be the alternator. I had the alternator tested 3 times and was told every time that it was fine from third parties. It is located towards the rear of the engine and likely cannot be replaced without dropping the engine.

I had it done at the dealership and I must say I am happy about everything but the cost as you can imagine.
For me the cost was $707.00.
However there is a lifetime warranty attached parts and labor and if that doesn't end up being the issue then they will put the cost of the repairs toward the actual issue.

I hope this helps someone unfortunate enough to have this issue in the future.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Electrical Problems

Can anyone on this thread inform us if they got their electrical issues resolved and if so, how?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

The reply above you gave a resolution....what problems are you having? My '08 Cargo has an annoying issue of the dash info display being dim at times then bright at other times (not flickering though) along with the radio backlight and passenger airbag being 'off' or 'on' at times...BCM no doubt...
Old February 25th, 2011, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have similar issue but my volts do not change all that much.. However as you are driving the light will flicker.. I know it is the Voltage regulator..
I would Change your alternator or just the regulator
Old February 26th, 2011, 8:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
katmiles123, I would like to direct message you about your issue. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
katmiles123, did you get your problem resolved?
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Uplander BCM/PCM/ECM issue

Not yet, however my 2005 Uplander is at the Chevy dealer right now for repair. They replaced the BCM and still have issues. There was some improvement after that but now they said they will now have to replace the PCM next (at no cost due to Federal law). The modules still aren't communicating giving many U00X codes. The mechanic asked me if the car was ever hit by lightning. Will post their finding soon.
Old February 27th, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still having voltage issues!

I am so sorry about having not followed up on my "issues". We still have our 2008 Uplander and it has been in and out of the shop for a variety of electrical "issues". Like I stated in an earlier response, I switched dealerships because of the lack of cooperation/understanding on their part. It seemed like EVERYTHING I wanted to do was not their fault---it was within the normal voltage ranges!? I've since had my radar detector in use (just not with the factory voltage monitor operational so it stays on) and I had my after market remote start hooked back up. Now here is where I REALLY notice the voltage"issues"---after remote starting the vehicle it will shut off but restart once it gets a better voltage reading. The frustrating part about this is that it may do this whole scenario two or three times within the programmed 20 minute run time after remote starting the vehicle!!! Our old 1994 Astro van has the exact same remote start on it but it runs the whole 20 minutes without any "issues"---but it doesn't have a "screwed up" charging system like the Uplanders do. Another recent problem with the Uplander---which I thought was related to the voltages---ended up being a brake hub and the wheel sensor. It appeared that some of our midwest snow must have damaged the sensor so bad that the wheel hub had to be replaced!? Hmmm??? They seem to have the Service Stability System "problem" figured out---for now anyhow. We still notice the flicker of the lights at night and I use the dash info to monitor the vehicle voltage swings. It still amazes me that an electrical system is allowed to vary that much! P.S. I got a reply from Jeff Morris wanting to direct mail me but I do NOT know how to contact him in order to do this. Any ideas? Thanks---good luck to all Uplander owners on this very obvious "problem-area" of voltages.
Old February 27th, 2011, 3:56 PM
CF Active Member

So that was with a new alternator and regulator? If so that's a shame....I believe their was an optional larger amp alternator for some models. I wonder if yours is large enough?

I wonder if there is a way around the funky voltage swing/monitoring setup the Uplander uses? Or upgrading the alternator/battery to ensure maximum voltage at all times.

I have an '08 Cargo van but have not experienced any of these electrical issues except for the retarded auto sensing instrument gauge lighting...

Jeremy
Old April 10th, 2011, 3:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do this
Spray the post at the battery with a spray that helps a good contact and you will never have a problem again ....or go ahead and change the type of boot cable at the terminal s from the battery .
I head the same problem but no more .....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical "problems" with 2008 Chevy Uplander LS extended van