Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Electrical "problems" with 2008 Chevy Uplander LS extended van

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome that you found a fix, so that b1516 code was actually shown when the van was scanned? Did you pull the code or a shop? I'm just wondering how expensive a code reader would be required to pull that battery code. Thanks for updating, it helps everyone when actual solutions are found and reported back.
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguy88
That's awesome that you found a fix, so that b1516 code was actually shown when the van was scanned? Did you pull the code or a shop? I'm just wondering how expensive a code reader would be required to pull that battery code. Thanks for updating, it helps everyone when actual solutions are found and reported back.
do you have a cheap 'elm327' reader? they are $15 or lower.
you can use bluetooth on a phone to communicate with your cars obdii port via the 'elm327'
theres an app called "torque" and another called "forscan"
torque is about $5 but theres a free torque app thats a basic code checker.
i dont know anything about forscan, but i have heard it has access to many more systems and sensors that torque cannot communicate with
Old October 9th, 2018, 6:18 AM
CF Active Member

Yeah I have torque pro and an obd2 bt adapter, I was just curious if that code needed a snap on level computer to pull that bcm code. Never heard of forscan, though I do have efi live also. Thanks for the info though
Old October 9th, 2018, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default B codes

B codes are body control module codes . They can only be pulled with the tech w scanners . Also only can be diagnosed with scanner and GM software ie : testing plug or testing sensors . I purchased two sensors trying to repair mine and neither one worked . The dealer said purchase one from them GM makes them easy read for there system and I did it worked right away .
Old October 10th, 2018, 8:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguy88
Yeah I have torque pro and an obd2 bt adapter, I was just curious if that code needed a snap on level computer to pull that bcm code. Never heard of forscan, though I do have efi live also. Thanks for the info though
yeah i have heard that forscan can do a lot lot more.
air bag lights, abs lights, can even program some keys and such.
i need to find a walkthrough or a quick guide or something...
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default problems with battery 07 uplander

i go through a battery a year, it kills the cell where if u turn it on vehicle will honk and flash lights.
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Charging system failure

Originally Posted by bellamr

Hello all,

I found another post on the interwebs that indicated that there is a systemic problem with the bolt on the starter holding the cables connected to the starter and alternator can be loose. Sure enough, I went under the van and found my bolt on the starter was loose as well. I tightened it up with a 13mm ratcheting box wrench (it is difficult to get at) and that fixed the problem.

Thanks to all of the posts here and elsewhere that allowed me to fix the problem and not get raped by a dishonest mechanic (and they are not all dishonest) at a stealership.

Just purchased a 2008 Uplander and had the local dealership install a new starter. When it was done I got an "Oh, by the way - your alternator is bad and should be replaced." They only wanted $580. Since it was working fine when I'd taken it in I drove it home with a "charging system failure" message and checked myself. What I found was the cable that comes from the alternator and connects to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid (blue cable on my car) came off in my hand when I pulled it. The eye on the crimp fitting had broken and was only held in place by the heat shrink tubing. A $1.50 fix. I wonder what my final bill would have been at the dealership once they'd replaced the alternator and found that it wasn't the problem?
Old April 15th, 2020, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not exactly true

Originally Posted by mgeorge77
Well after a long wait and a lot of speculation I think we have a resolution. Sadly it turned out to be the alternator. I had the alternator tested 3 times and was told every time that it was fine from third parties. It is located towards the rear of the engine and likely cannot be replaced without dropping the engine.

I had it done at the dealership and I must say I am happy about everything but the cost as you can imagine.
For me the cost was $707.00.
However there is a lifetime warranty attached parts and labor and if that doesn't end up being the issue then they will put the cost of the repairs toward the actual issue.

I hope this helps someone unfortunate enough to have this issue in the future.
I have rehave my alternator a few times without dropping the engine. If you remove the windshield wiper motor it slides right out. As far as the voltage regulator they are known to be faulty. They cuase lights to flicker, volts to jump around, even cuase your transmission to slam into gear and bad gas mileage. Changing the alternator will still have the faulty regulator. I buy an alternator for $80 bucks ever couple years. I tried changing the regulator but I didn't feel like searching for the right replacement.