Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

grinding while starting

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2010, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding while starting

This happens about 1 in 10 starts lately, when I start the van ('08 LT) there is a grinding or crunching noise and it stalled once on startup. This happens when the starter disengages. Is this a common issue?
Old April 17th, 2010, 3:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so, by grinding, you mean when you hit the key it grinds, or when you let off key? can you isolate better where on the motor it comes from? does the starter actually engage and turn motor over good, or does it take a few times for motor to turn over? just tryin to get better idea of what's going on so we might be able to help better. thanks
Old April 17th, 2010, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

the starter turns itself until the engine is started which is typical of newer cars so you only have to flick the key, not hold until it starts. As soon as the engine starts at the end of the cranking cycle is when the grinding is, intermittently. It doesnt take any longer than usual to start and always starts on the first attempt. The sound isnt that of a starter engaging on an already running motor. I havent tried to get somebody else to start to try to find the noise myself, it only lasts less than a second when it does happen.
Old May 8th, 2010, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

I would say that your starter is at fault.If you are under 60000 kilometers or 40000 miles your garantee is in force.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Actually yesterday it crunched/ground for about 2 seconds while placing the gear in drive from park, I suspect the transmission is failing and have an appointment at the dealer on tuesday to have them check it out.
Old June 10th, 2010, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Noise is happening in forward motion now, 5th time into the dealer and they won't even look at it unless I can reproduce the sound on demand so they can search for where it comes from. Despite me arguing that it could be a serious problem and driving it until a major driveline componant fails, the service manager will not do anything. GM Canada has been contacted with my problem and the manager's name.
Old June 11th, 2010, 8:03 AM
Professional Mechanic

sounds like the starter shuttle is failing to disengage all the way.