Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Ordering a Service Manual to repair things like rear quarter power vents/switch.

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2016, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a Service Manual to repair things like rear quarter power vents/switch.

Is there a repliable source for obtaining a print (or digital copy) of the service manual for the 2008 Uplander LT ? (Neither haynes or Canadian tire have this van or any of it's variants)

If not is it possible to get some information on which panels to remove in order to access the correct wiring and repair the rear vent windows?

I would like to do some repairs on our van, but there's been so little information available, and online searches have been lacking useful none scam results.

Task 1) repair/replace the rear vent motors or their wiring or the button on the overhead console. Maybe even turn them into manual windows if need be.

Last edited by Jeff Gagnon; June 13th, 2016 at 8:50 AM. Reason: update the question
Old June 14th, 2016, 11:22 PM
CF Active Member

Have you tried the parts desk at the dealership?
They also pop up on eBay, but this requires patience.
Old June 15th, 2016, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
Have you tried the parts desk at the dealership? They also pop up on eBay, but this requires patience.
No, we decided that regular maintenance is the only time we're going back. Mainly because when we contacted the local dealer, they advised us a key is $300 +tax & saying it's our only option if we want a spare. So we went to Ebay for the transponder key @12$ and the instructions are in the OM re programming.

Prices on ebay are at least double the cost of ordering directly from the back of the OM. I guess If I want to save money I will just have to start pulling all of the panels + maybe the carpet and trace the wires to see where they go.
Old June 15th, 2016, 11:33 PM
CF Active Member

That's double what my BMW keys cost! My '05 Venture key just has the passkey chip and in '09 when I bought the van which only came with 1 key I believe I paid $40 for a new one.

So the last time I actually looked in the back of the OM I thought the repair manuals were listed around $90...I got the 2 book set for my Venture for $50 and the 3 book set for my '00 Impala for $60 both off eBay. The only downside to the factory manuals though is that they assume you have all the dealership tools and while the hand tools are readily available their computers are not. I think the last Chiltons/Haynes I bought was in '92 for my Camaro, but I do know they have an online service so you could check into that.
Old June 16th, 2016, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I found chiltondiy.com but is only available in the USA. That's a good start to not having to pay a Retail Price $263.00

The weather should improve by this weekend, so hopefully I get a good walkthrough by then, or I find the ol' tripod to diary the parts I move
Old June 20th, 2016, 5:13 PM
CF Active Member

I managed to get a few minutes to thumb through my Venture manuals, there is a lot of "see blah-blah" before you get to the motor and I didn't go to all those pages to see how to remove the panels. The wiring on the other hand...still no quick help as it shows the wires from the motor going a few inches (6-8?) and joining a big harness as it passes nearby.
If you didn't get it taken care of and still need some diagnostic help I can go back to the manual and find the schematic to at least tell you what signals are on what wires. At work now though so I won't be able to post back until tomorrow.
Old June 20th, 2016, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, it's been 100+F out here so I am staying cool waiting for better weather before i go out there holding steel tools guessing how to put it all back together. I've almost decided to hit up the scrap yard and see if I can get a couple of the old manual clamps to simply replace the motor feature (in case it is the motor and not just some corroded wires)... but that too needs better weather. You did point me in the correct direction and the library is going to be my next search for the repair manual. For the meanwhile I'm enjoying keeping the windows closed and running the A/C.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 7:15 PM
CF Active Member

By looking in the index all I could find was "window replacement" which doesn't mention the motor except for disconnecting it from the glass. I tried going page by page through the electrical section but I just didn't see that diagram. I would assume it is pretty simple, push the switch one way and 12V goes to the motor in a positive polarity and when you push the switch the other way it reverses the polarity. I'd have someone push the switch while you measure the voltage at the motor, both between the wires and also from each wire to the vehicle body. Repeat with the switch the other way and also at the other motor. If you aren't getting 12V at all on any measurement (and you're sure all the fuses are good) then pop out the switch and make sure you have power there. Of course if you are having a problem with both windows there is a good chance it is just the switch, I know the switches for the front windows go bad a lot.