Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Overheating Mystery

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2017, 5:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

There are two screws holding the tsat housing, I believe they are 15mm. Unscrew the screws, remove the exisiting tstat. Now comes the fun part, after you clean the gasket of both surfaces, you have to reinstall the new tstat. The issue is with starting the screw with the new gasket, this is just mechanical experience.
Old August 26th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you be able to give me some idea of where to find the tstat. I do not remember seeing anything around the end of the hose or around the bleeder valve above or below it. I am pretty sure that to some extent I was blind, but any help you can give on locating it would be helpful.
Old August 26th, 2017, 8:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Old November 19th, 2019, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default There is a very good Chevy uplander video on YouTube.com

Originally Posted by Conrad Cody Cline
Would you be able to give me some idea of where to find the tstat. I do not remember seeing anything around the end of the hose or around the bleeder valve above or below it. I am pretty sure that to some extent I was blind, but any help you can give on locating it would be helpful.

that will tell you everything you need to know.
Old January 18th, 2021, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Conrad Cody Cline
I did. I followed the top hose to the metal joint it connects to. There was no thermostat or thermostat housing. Its where one of the two bleeder valves are (in the metal joint). I took off the hose and it was dry with no sludge, and no drainage of coolant. Which is why i am assuming there is too much air in the line. I have a thermostat sitting here waiting to be used, but I cannot find the thermostat in the vehicle. The lower house also had no thermostat on it. I looked around ,and while I did not take off the throttle control housing I did check under it (after removing the air intake hose) and could not see anywhere the thermostat would be. Its all essentially solid metal under there with no radiator hose going under the Throttle control housing. I might be blind, and thats a good possibility, but I didn't see anywhere the thermostat would be.

Pardon the bad editing on the image .

you have to remove the throttle body to access the tstat housing.
Old March 1st, 2021, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
There are two screws holding the tsat housing, I believe they are 15mm. Unscrew the screws, remove the exisiting tstat. Now comes the fun part, after you clean the gasket of both surfaces, you have to reinstall the new tstat. The issue is with starting the screw with the new gasket, this is just mechanical experience.
The screws are 13 mm, and you have to remove the throttle body assembly to access it, or remove the exhaust crossover. Good luck with the latter, be prepared to break some bolts! I just did one on a 2005 Uplander, but the weird overheat problem still exists. Ran a pressure test, no leaks. Radiator appears clear of sludge, however their sure wasn't much coolant that drained before I started, and it was all the way to the top of the radiator.