Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

REGULAR GAS OR PREMIUM?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are not good sources. Try something other than another forum and a sales pitch.

I know gasoline can go bad. but I don't beleive the octane goes DOWN. Maybe UP, definately not DOWN.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Those are not good sources. Try something other than another forum and a sales pitch.

I know gasoline can go bad. but I don't beleive the octane goes DOWN. Maybe UP, definately not DOWN.
OK - Where's your proof that Octane goes up over time? If you say it goes up, then show us. Where're your proof. Or, is that your "sales pitch for the day"?

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't get all pissy. I didn't say it was fact that Octane goes up. But your sources just say exactly what you are sayin

When an Octane rating goes down, that means the gasoline is more volitile. More readily flammable.
When Octane goes up, its harder to light it. Take diesel fuel for example. Its octane is much higher than gasoline. Try to light it. You'll have to hold your lighter there for a second and it still may not burn.
The last time I dealt with old gasoline, it had to be poured into a large steel pan and lit to burn away. It took a torch 30 seconds to get it good and lit. Thats a sure sign of a higher octane.
Old April 8th, 2009, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Don't get all pissy. I didn't say it was fact that Octane goes up. But your sources just say exactly what you are sayin When an Octane rating goes down, that means the gasoline is more volitile. More readily flammable. When Octane goes up, its harder to light it. Take diesel fuel for example. Its octane is much higher than gasoline. Try to light it. You'll have to hold your lighter there for a second and it still may not burn. The last time I dealt with old gasoline, it had to be poured into a large steel pan and lit to burn away. It took a torch 30 seconds to get it good and lit. Thats a sure sign of a higher octane.
Where is your documented proof of your above findings? No. Not information extract from a forum (like this forum). Show me your real proof - like a formal study.

The OP asked how long gas would last. A honest question that many would ask. I stated "35 days - after pumped out of the pump". Others stated their time length opinion as well. Of all the folks who stated their opinion, you picked me out of the crowd and asked for formal proof. Look above buddy. Follow the thread. With that in mind, where's your proof? Where's your proof that gasoline lasts longer then 35 days? Am I getting pissy at you???? Not at all. Just turning your own behavior back at you. The same "non pissy" treatment you treated me with.

The next time you go walking into a salon to have a chat with a few folks (and a few beers), may I suggest you keep you guns at the door. Your "ego guns". Or, do you find me a personal threat - to you? Nope - not getting pissy. Just trying to understand you want want to debate over something.

And if wondering... I still feel that gasoline's "BEST BEFORE DATE" is up to 35 days - after being pumped out of the pump. After that date, I dump into garbage engines. I refuse to put into my expensive engines. Use up to 10 years for gasoline shelf life - if you want. It's your engine.

Old April 8th, 2009, 8:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting back to original post .......
"Hi i just bought a Chevy Uplander 2007, owners manual indicates you can use it with 87 octanes gas (regular), is there any benefit on using a 92 octane gasoline beside the power?"

I have an '07 Uplander and use regular fuel, 87 octane. If they spec'd premium fuel for this vehicle I probably wouldn't have bought it.
The auto companies do everything they can to improve their CAFE rating and I'm sure if premium fuel would be advantageous they would recommend it. So ........ in my layman's opinion there is no advantage to using higher octane fuel.

Why don't you try a 1/4 mile fun on regular fuel and another run on a tank of premium, that may prove (or disprove) your assumption that premium delivers "more power". Be sure to post your results for members.
Old June 9th, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

my uplander runs like **** on 87, I use 89, remember folks in the manual it says 87 or higher, mind you i wouldn't go 91 or 92. I highly recommend 89 yours truly BigDawg