Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander blower fan prolem in very cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 6:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the fan at UAP ( Napa ) in Ontario. The whole unit is made by Unimotor in Ontario, Canada. The whole job is a less than one half hour of work. A very easy D.I.Y. 3 screws to remove and a wire connector to disconnect after removing the passanger under dash cover. This cover is held by 3 plastic connectors that you have to break in order to remove them. These fasteners are sold everywhere in auto stores but I installed 3 metal screws holders instead of the plastic fasteners in order to remove this panel in the future with screws.
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe the fact that the original fan motor was plastic has anything to do with the problem.
Most of the Chinese motors that I have problems with were never lubricated well at the factory, they were dry.
I have a few oscillating fans (Chinese) in the house here along with vent motors in bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans. I disassemble and lube them periodically and they run for years smooth & quiet. Most have a wick type substance in the bearing assy. that needs saturating with oil periodically.
I can't remember having an electric motor fail (seize/vibration/noise) that wasn't lubrication related.
Old February 13th, 2014, 7:15 AM
CF Active Member

I understand your point Papa Bear that even with a plastic enveloppe it does not mean that just because it is made of plastic they are not good and even made in China but they should be designed to start turning in very cold weather also. The fan was running perfect except for this major inconvenience. This winter that we are going through is not normal either but it should be designed for this cold temperature also.My van dont have a very high millage ( under 50,000 miles). For what I paid $110. I think it is worth trying something else hoping the new one will start every times I need it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by capucine
I understand your point Papa Bear that even with a plastic enveloppe it does not mean that just because it is made of plastic they are not good and even made in China but they should be designed to start turning in very cold weather also. The fan was running perfect except for this major inconvenience. This winter that we are going through is not normal either but it should be designed for this cold temperature also.My van dont have a very high millage ( under 50,000 miles). For what I paid $110. I think it is worth trying something else hoping the new one will start every times I need it.
I agree, but don't throw the old unit away yet.
Old February 14th, 2014, 4:31 AM
CF Active Member

I am almost certain that the problem is within the commutator brushes. Since only a tap on the fan makes it start the tension is probably not strong enaugh on the commutator and it is the cause of this no turn. As the carbon on the brushes is wearing the brushes tension is reduced and causes this. I will take this motor apart some.day to find why it caused this issue. These motors are not made to take apart and need to be destroyed in order to sneak inside. Ac house fans can be taken apart and oiled but not these Dc blower.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Having the same problem on my 2008 Silverado. 4 different times recently at temps between 0 -13 deg. F. Starts up after traveling but may take 20-30 min. Could not get blower to go by banging on outer shroud. Today (0 deg.), same problem. Ran a space heater near blower motor for 10 min and it started. Guess I'll be replacing the blower motor.
Old January 20th, 2015, 4:49 PM
CF Junior Member

this happened to me today. brutally cold day, and no heat. too bad I didn't realize the blower wasnt working till i was halfway at my destination, LOL

got back from doing my errands, freezing , I may add.

took the bottom panel off, and gave the "made in china" fan a "tap" with a hammer. what do you know, she came back to life. Might order a new one anyway.

will see if it the fan does it again.
Old January 21st, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Active Member

Just as an aside, I have an '08 Cargo Uplander and though my blower did fail to work when cranking during a very cold day last year, I noticed that it did the same thing again yesterday (only twice in the last 3 years) but the temperature was around 60 degrees. Just a possibility that these things have a limited lifespan.

I leaned over and smacked the blower area with my hand as an experiment and it fired to life lol.
Old January 24th, 2015, 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

heres a quick update. I did end up buying the new blower motor from napa for $60.

but my old one is working fine again, so far just the one mishap. so i have not changed it as of yet.
Old March 7th, 2015, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced the blower motor in my 08 Silverado with one from Rock Auto for about $45. Been 10 deg. below lately, couldn't use truck w/o it. All is good now!