Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander Dashboard Light Issues!

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2011, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uplander Dashboard Light Issues!

My father gave me his Uplander few days ago, but it has a lot of issues that I need to fix… The biggest problem so far is the dashboard and interior Lights flickering only during the night, it won’t flicker during the day though. My Headlights aren’t flickering though. To Avoid the interior lights from flickering, I have to dim down the brightness of the dashboard lights, but my Tachometer isn’t lightning up at all, I’ve filmed it, thinking it would be useful to show to the mechanic since It will probably be impossible to duplicate the problem during the day :S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfmRHPJff0<O</O
<O</O
And my second Problem is the following, I always have to press on the gas Pedal to Start the engine, or else it won’t start at all…<O</O
<O</O
The Uplander is a 2005.<O</O
<O</O
Anyway, hope to get some help since it’s really bothering me, and plus it’s my first car, and I’d like to have it for a long time since it’s big and great to drive.<O</O

Last edited by uplanderblue; September 29th, 2011 at 5:33 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Old September 30th, 2011, 7:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like you need one of those voltage regulators that has been discussed here often, read the posts and you will find your answer.
Is the "check engine" light on? Is there any codes stored? Sounds like you may need the throttle body cleaned.
Old September 30th, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks Papabear for replying Yea the check engine light is on! I will bring that van to GM Next week, and see what they'll do about it... Thanks though, and I did check the electric Gremlins thread, that did answer my question!
Old October 1st, 2011, 2:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Replace the voltage regulator and than repair dashboard light bulbs.
More details here - https://chevroletforum.com/forum/upl...-lights-20764/
Old October 1st, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks VAL D, I'll read this thread for more details I will order the piece this monday and let you know if that will fix the problem!
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Your problem with flickering lights may be somewhere else, not in the voltage regulator. On the video it looks like your power is cutting out completely. Check all related electrical connections. I had flickering lights problem with unstable voltage 12-14V but no power cuts. I had burnt dashboard lights also because of voltage spikes. Replacing light bulbs fixes the dashboard but now I'm not sure replacing the voltage regulator will fix your flickering.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

OK i see, so I won't order the piece then... I'll go to the GM dealership and ask them to check for the electrical connections. If I'm right, the lights started to flicker like this since they install the rear wiper motor.. Anyway thanks for the help, hope it will be fixed soon!
Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:31 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Uplanderblue,
Since you already have an appointment at the dealership, please keep us updated, and let us know what they say the issue is and the resolution.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:42 AM
Banned

Alot for the times it is the ground side of the electrical system that is the fault.Simple to check all the grounds.

While I am at this,clear all the codes by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes.Then the ECM will relearn it's self by driving it.Take it to the local parts store and have them scan it for FREE.Remember dealership's per hour rate is pretty rude.The first code shown is the fault.A list of those codes is in the general tech section on this forum.Start learning self repairs on you vehicles when ever possible.It's going to save you a ton of money.We will support you in that effort.

Last edited by T.Neff; October 3rd, 2011 at 9:53 AM.
Old October 4th, 2011, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks for all the help, I'm going tomorrow morning at the GM Dealership and see what they will say, with your help guys, this should fix a lot of problems! Thanks again, and I will let know for sure about the resolution!