Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2000 Venture - Transmission - PCS ???

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2010, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Venture - Transmission - PCS ???

My 2000 Venture 3.4L 146,000K just today started hard-shifting on take-off, all gears. Again, this started today, out of nowhere. It only did it after about 30 mins of local driving. Now, I took it out again after sitting for 2 hours and it ran fine, no hard-shifting for a couple of miles. I immediately took it to the house and parked it. I suspect that it is a possible Pressure Control Solenoid failure/malfunction in the transmission. But, I also noticed that I do have a light burnt trans fluid smell, level is fine. I usually stay up on fluid maintenance, but have had several family issues over the past several months and have slipped on a few things. At any rate, I am going to change the fluid and filter, mixed feelings about doing a flush. What is your guys experience with these transmissions? Could a dirty MAF sensor cause intermittent hard up-shifting? Or is it possibly just the fluid/filter or the PCS? Also, do you guys recommend a trans flush or just replace the fluid/filter? I have never replaced a PCS, I am not sure where to begin if indeed it is that. Sorry for the novel, just want to be clear as mud. Thank you for your time.
Old April 18th, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

Solenoids are a common problems with these transmission and this goes to several years as I can see. My 03 impala was one of them with many transmission problems after I hit your millage. I had delayed starts when light was turning green and often the tranny was going in high pressure mode creating hard shifting on all gears. For the oil it was changed every 60000k with the filter. The car was doing only highways which was not hard on the transmission and I got rid of this car before it got rid of my wallet. The car had 161,000kilometers when I said enough was enough.We got a new Uplander and to date it has been totally troublefree
Old April 20th, 2010, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: I have driven the van a few times over the past few days, the problem has not repeated. I decided then to add 1/2 can of Seafoam Trans Tune and will run it for about a week. Then I will drop the pan and change the trans fluid and filter. I am all about not rocking the boat, I am not going to tear into the side cover and futz with changing the PCS if this problem does not resurface. It is probable that some trash or something got into the system and caused the hard shifting issue. Since then I have put about 100 miles on the van and drove 25 miles or so on my longest trip since the issue. I have no Service Engine light either. I will post any new info if something changes over the next week(s). Other than this issue, this van has been trouble-free (thus far).