Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2002 Chevy Venture cranks and will not start

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Venture cranks and will not start

I put new head gaskets on an 02 Venture 3.4 to correct overheating issue. After putting it together car fired right up and ran fine for initial test. It was late so I shut down for the night to bleed air out of coolant next day. I, unfortunately, left acc on (did not know you could take out key), and had a dead battery the next day. Jumped and car ran. Let run for about 10 min and tried to re-start, battery still dead. Tried to jump, car would not start. Tried several times, would not start. Took battery for full charge, battery tested good, re-installed, car fired up and ran about an hour while I bled air from coolant system. Shut off to run an errand, came back 30 min later to finalize job, car would not start?? Started reading about all the problems with these cars, cannot get to start. Here is what I have done/ what I know. When car was running (during testing) ran excellent, no stutter, no miss, no like starving for fuel. NO CODES.

I checked all fuses - all good
I tested fuel pump relay - good
Tested power to fuel pump relay - good
listened under car - and I can hear pump is running when key is on
tested power on both sides of fuel pump plug under drivers door- there is power on both sides of plug
I checked spark at ignition coil - there is spark
I checked power to fuel injectors - there is power on both sides of plug on pink wire
I checked service port behind alternator and there is fuel pressure (just check for spurt of fuel, did not check actual pressure, but it seems even the smallest bit of fuel, car would try to fire

I am at a loss, car cranks, car has good battery power, car has fuel, spark, power to injectors, will not even try to start? pulling my hair out, i want to get this car out of my driveway.
Old May 9th, 2015, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

One week and not any insight from anyone? I know there are some of you out there with some advice. Today I plan on checking the pressure on the rail and then??? Look again for loose grounds? What I don't understand is that it ran perfect for almost an hour, shut it down and came back an hour later and the no start condition? I will check the gas (like maybe gauge is not working??) but there was not a stutter or a miss. I will try to start with carb cleaner or ether as well to rule out or in the presence of a fuel issue. It has to be something simple, but I am at a loss!
Old May 15th, 2015, 3:26 PM
CF Junior Member

<textarea class="goog-textarea" style="box-sizing: border-box; overflow-y: hidden; overflow-x: auto; padding-right: 20px; height: 2819px; padding-bottom: 32px;" id="source" name="text" tabindex="0" dir="ltr" spellcheck="false" autocomplete="off" wrap="SOFT"></textarea>

Nobody answers because that is very complicated.

If all conditions are met why it would not start ?
Especially after turning over an hour.
When it fails to start, I would put a little gasoline into the intake with a syringe, be careful it's pretty dangerous.
it should react !!
cordially
Old May 16th, 2015, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Update on this issue. Definitely some computer control issue. After car would not run on carb cleaner so totally eliminated possibility of fuel issue. I disconnected battery for two hours (completely disconnect), hook battery back up and car fires immediately. Run for 45 minutes or so. Turn off and on several times and fires right back up. Leave sit 30 minutes, will not start. Turns over but does not even try to fire. Unhook battery two hours, fires right back up. Only one key that this owner has ever had, never had an issue like this. It does not look like there is a chip in the key? Any insight? thanks in advance.
Old May 16th, 2015, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input @chevy47930. I already said there is fuel on the rail. I also tested with carb cleaner in the intake. I would submit that I came to the forum because I have an issue that is not complicated, but unusual. I am hoping some mechanics with more experience (or this specific experience) with this model of vehicle which looks to have a lot of quirks. Could provide some insight.
Old May 17th, 2015, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah, "this model of vehicle which looks to have a lot of quirks"

with forty years of automotive electricity, I had the greatest difficulty in determining the coil that had become bad in dynamic (and of course, totally OK to test static). It is another post about rough idle!

just one element that starts fidgeting all this small wonder jams.

Disconnecting the battery is interesting and partially reset "the system."
But precisely if the relearn is any defective part, the fault is therefore up.

we must have more than certainties about the situation in operation of all components; to locate and thus know why the engine stops or not starts ; if the fuel pressure is OK and injectors fed by the PCM, that we will check in real time, remains the ignition.
This is a large forest: are the sparks well represented with the right energy and especially good timing. Also it is very difficult to argue that it's OK because the measures to achieve become very complicated.
a sensor that indulges, for exemple 7X 24X and nothing goes.

if the engine fails to start or dies, the key here is, even if we put a mark on the crankshaft pulley and the timing light out!

My conclusion: you have to control everything at the same time.
One difficulty is that there is no DTC generally on these faults.
we recall that a basic scantool allows for many operating information whose spark advance; but this analysis is not easy with a motor stops.
Good research.
What satisfaction to have found himself.
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

@chevy47390 car does not start and then die, what I have seen as a passlock issue. It either will start and run fine or not start at all. I did follow the procedure to try and get the car to re-learn the passlock (crank, leave in on for 10 minutes, crank, off, crank) but it did not work. I am ready to call the game and take to the dealer for some insight.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 2:03 AM
CF Junior Member

This failure can be caused by anything.

If the vehicle starts sometimes, I do not see GM immobilizer.

rereading, I had a similar default with a random start.
the cause was a fault on a pin of the additional immobilizer TEXALARM.
too much current in a connector and the spindle was burned. I shunted various wires whose PCM power I seem to remember.

I remain convinced that to determine the fault, you have to know precisely that information is absent so that the engine does not start or stops.
and never go too fast! and does not write that everything is OK!
Old May 30th, 2015, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Mystery solved all! Don't know why when I had it running for over an hour it never threw a P0336, but the 24X Crank Sensor had a broken wire on the harness side. Thanks for all the input, I hope this helps others down the road.
Old August 21st, 2015, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dougsbart
Mystery solved all! Don't know why when I had it running for over an hour it never threw a P0336, but the 24X Crank Sensor had a broken wire on the harness side. Thanks for all the input, I hope this helps others down the road.
Sorry for reactivating this thread after 3 months of being passive but I'm trying to fix my Venture 2002 that is not starting at all.
Are you saying that your vehicle did start and run for a limited time even with the broken wire of the x24 crank sensor? How's that possible when if the crank sensor fails for whatever reason then the ICM doesn't create sparks hence no engine start?

Mine is not starting after it ran out of fuel and I refilled it. Although I changed fuel filter, spark plugs, spark wires and air filter (all brand new), I also checked the fuel pump and it works. There's sparks at the top of each coil of ICM. I didn't check the fuel pressure yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks

Quick Reply: 2002 Chevy Venture cranks and will not start