Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

98 Venture passlock issue? stumped...

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2015, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Venture passlock issue? stumped...

Hey all, I have a 98 venture that cranks but wont start, verified fuel and spark already. There is no security light at bulb check leading me to believe it is a passlock issue. Previous owner spliced in a new ignition harness and replaced key cylinder. Cannot find any good info on this van. Pretty sure its the passlock and not passkey or similar variants... any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2015, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Good luck

You say the security light is off, if it is the security system it should blink, no? First I would check all the connections that the previous owner "spliced in" for a bad connection. Bad grounds can cause weird bizarre problems too. I believe the security system shuts down the fuel pump but I'm not sure so if you have fuel pressure it may not be the security system. Try another key, sometimes the keys get worn? If you really think it is the security system there is always this for $200: Buy the Pro Module If you google GM passlock there are all kinds of suggestions and work arounds. Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2015, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

This morning I just replaced the ignition harness that was spliced in by the previous owner, along with the matched bcm, pcm, and ipc. Still no start, still no security light at all. Im going to verify the security light circuit. I know that if it blinks or stays on solid that an issue is being indicated, however there is NO light ever. It is supposed to turn on periodically at bulb check along with the ses light and all that jazz... but it does nothing. Now that I have a matched security setup I may attempt a resistance bypass in the wiring. If anybody here has any actual personal experience with the early passlock system (or any late 90s gm security) feel free to chime in. Im seeing in the scrap yards that the 97 and 98 models seem to differ in the wiring color codes but share similar hardware... I may be on to something...
Old May 14th, 2015, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fuses & relays?

You didn't say that you checked all the relevant fuses and relays for injectors, control modules, etc. Sometimes is is something as simple as a blown fuse or failed relay. If you have fuel pressure and spark then it must be the injectors not working which could be the security like you suspect? Maybe the security shuts off the injectors, I don't know. Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

I already verified all the basics. fuses, relays, spark, fuel, all of it. The security system disables injector pulse when it senses an issue. I appreciate your input, but sorry ive already been thru all the remedial tests and am really just hoping for some advice from somebody who has dealt with gm anti theft systems and is willing to help a little. But again thanks for your reply, not trying to sound like a stuck up type of guy.
Old May 15th, 2015, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you could check for codes in the bcm as that is where theft codes are stored. you will need a full function scan tool.
without that; find out what theft system you have; passlock 1, passlock 2, passkey 1, passkey 2

with that information do a internet search to find out what is disabled when the system is active.
ie fuel pump, injectors, starter

does your key have a square black resistor pellet in the key?
Old May 15th, 2015, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello everyone,

in fact, did you see that 98 venture start before or never?

If the key cylinder has been changed, it would also change the key hole or maintain the old key nearby.

In this case I had changed the complete steering column and PCM!
But the VATS first cut the starter, fuel pump,

If the engine turns over, we necessarily have ignition (starting ignition, see another post even without the PCM !!)

I would check that the injectors are connected to 12 volt (hot in run) and a LED control ground pulses (led + resistor 300ohms; try with a battery to validate the operation).

The ignition may be present but offset! not in the right time

Thank you to inform us of the following
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

The fuel pump is functioning properly and the van starts occasionally but dies after a second or two, and has ran for up to half a minute once before sputtering out to a stop leading me to believe injector pulse is being disabled. It is passlock, no resistor or transponder in the keys. I think its a variant or a early version because It has different color coded wires than all others ive seen or read of in diagrams and whatnot... I have thought about trying to source a tech II scanner but I dont see that actually happening... I have however installed a matched pcm, bcm, passlock sensor, ignition harness, and insturment panel cluster to verifiy that the R-Code being generated accross the network is the same one among all the devices on the network... yes it has two keys, one for door and the other for the igntion but they are the dual sided type. They just did that so they could keep the door locks for ease/cheapness. I resued the key cylinder when I installed the integrated paslock sensor/igntion harness so I retained the ignition key I got with it. There was no key in the igntion at the scrap yard I pulled the set at. Not sure whether there is any resistor in the key cylinder itself I think its just the passlock sensor/ignition harness. Tomorrow or sunday ill be back on the van, had to finish a customer car today and have another saturday so the van is a side project of mine, but its getting a bit daunting to be honest. Thanks for the input people.
Old May 16th, 2015, 3:14 AM
CF Junior Member

How to start your late model GM vehicle with a flashing SECURITY or THEFT SYSTEM light

HOW DO I DISABLE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM CAR WONT START - Fixya

How to bypass the VATS system in a late model GM vehicle

"There was no key in the igntion at the scrap yard I pulled the set at."

it would have been much more fun to find a cylinder with its key, but it must also forward the BCM and the PCM

about 98 venture we have keys with a chip B

it is curious that the engine starts a few seconds and the VATS stops after start

Cordially
Old May 16th, 2015, 8:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

passlock 1 keys are just a blank and do not need to be registered to start the car; just mechanically cut correctly. the resistor is in the ignition lock cylinder. VATS had resistor pellets but it is not a transponder key. transponder keys are a passkey system.

starting and stalling is a symptom of a theft deterrent interaction. Starting running for 30 seconds is not. Once the enable release to run is given and the engine is running; it is designed not to shut down the engine if a theft fault occurs when running. the no start would occur after the car is turned off at the ignition switch.

find any scan tool that can read body codes and check for current theft dtc. if you find a dtc, clear it and start the car. if the dtc resets, you have a diagnosis starting point. if no dtc were present the theft deterrent system is ruled out.

Last edited by tech2; May 16th, 2015 at 9:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 98 Venture passlock issue? stumped...